Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weekend Experience with Q6600 and Cosmology

It's an ASUS Maximus Formula. One of 'em gaming motherboards. The mobo I originally wanted was the P5E (based on the same X38 chipset, but not labeled as a gaming mobo), but my dad upgraded it for me.

Rest of specs in previous thread: http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4934

As for AMD or the Quad, I can't really say since I haven't had an AMD for several years since I had the Athlon XP 1700+ 1.4GHz.

If your going to build a new PC & it's going to be used for the DC or BOINC Projects you are foolish if you don't get a Quad Core anymore. I don't care if it's a AMD or Intel Quad Core either, it's just simply the only way to go IMO ...

Building new - go quad. I only went the way I did, because I was replace a limited number of items and was going for bang for buck (limited funds around the holidays). Using the leftovers from the dead socket a box, I am getting a nice system for the cost of just the quad cpu ...
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnk

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

Quote Originally Posted by meshmar View Post
    Building new - go quad. I only went the way I did, because I was replace a limited number of items and was going for bang for buck (limited funds around the holidays). Using the leftovers from the dead socket a box, I am getting a nice system for the cost of just the quad cpu ...
    Yes, I can relate to that meshmar, I've had a EX6800 Dual Core sitting here for about 3 or 4 month's now while I fiddle around with Gigabyte. I've been trying to get them to replace a motherboard under warranty that shows bad voltage readings in the BIOS when I try to Overclock it. Their response so far has been to not overclock it then ...

I sent it in once already & as far as I can tell they just sent it back without doing anything to it, so I messed around with it some more & finally got it to the point where it won't even boot the PC up. So I sent it back to them again to see what their going to do with it this time. Hopefully they'll just replace it and if they do I'll throw together another PC with the EX6800 and the different MBoard ... I've had that EX6800 running the Projects @ over 3.8Ghz so it's a good CPU but I've been just keeping it around as a back up if 1 of the Quads goes bad ...

Cheers for the tips. Yeah it would be for DC work and more importantly, my dissertation which is computer modelling.

I was looking at the Asus P5N-e SLI because it was quite cheap. Cant afford to much! I aim to max the RAM pretty much as the models I need to run require lots of RAM and a mobo costing more than the CPU (Q6600 on eBuyer = £150, Asus maximus = £175!) is a no go really.

I wonder if we shouldn't change the name of our group to AMD/Q6600 Users!

Not until I get one...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123