Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Experience with Q6600 and Cosmology

Weekend Experience with Q6600 and Cosmology

Hey guys, been running Cosmology@Home non-stop for the weekend with my Q6600.

It's been great so far. I've been only using 2 of the 4 cores though. I've been installing and testing out various games as well. It idles around 38 degrees Celsius when I'm BOINC'ing and around 30 degrees when I'm idling with all cores. WUs work a lot faster compared to my P4. I couldn't stand waiting 10+ hours on it to finish. Now it only takes up to around 3 hours!

So is there any projects that require a boost? I'll be glad to help.

And I'm ready for the next BOINC race we'll be doing.
    Last edited by gamer007; 12-04-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Weekend Experience with Q6600 and Cosmology

Actually gamer007 the cosmology project is our focus right now, as we are in the lead but the 2nd place team is now shadowing us with there team mates that out number us by 5 to 1. When your not gaming could you put your 4 cores on this project and help us out ? We all would appreciate you raising the temps just a few degrees to get the most out of your system while your working at McD's! Thanks in advance!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    We all would appreciate you raising the temps just a few degrees to get the most out of your system while your working at McD's!
    Besides, winter is coming, so you'll be saving money on heating

Haha, true. I've tried using 4 cores at once, goes up to 50 degrees. I doubt that's bad. I hear the Q6600 has a max temp. of 71 degrees Celsius. I'll be glad to use all 4 cores at once.

My socket a box died over the weekend, so I've been looking around for a replacement to fit my budget, and this is the cpu that seems to fit the bill:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103194

That on a reasonable AM2 mobo with 1GB of ddr2@800 will give a little boost to my scores too. I hope to order everything tomorrow and have it in by Monday ...
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnk

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

Quote Originally Posted by gamer007 View Post
    Haha, true. I've tried using 4 cores at once, goes up to 50 degrees. I doubt that's bad. I hear the Q6600 has a max temp. of 71 degrees Celsius. I'll be glad to use all 4 cores at once.
    50 degrees is not bad at all for a Q6600, most of mine run that hot & even hotter. I don't know what the max Temp is for a Q6600 but I've seen temps as high as 100c already & it was still running all 4 Cores ...

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    DANG!! You weren't kidding about "Cherry Red" CPU's lol
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeeper53 View Post
    DANG!! You weren't kidding about "Cherry Red" CPU's lol
    ... Overclocking Experiments gone Awry it's called ...

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    LOL yup I have to say even with all my bad ideas I have yet to fry an AMD CPU. I have cooked a couple of Intels.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Quote Originally Posted by meshmar View Post
    My socket a box died over the weekend, so I've been looking around for a replacement to fit my budget, and this is the cpu that seems to fit the bill:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103194

That on a reasonable AM2 mobo with 1GB of ddr2@800 will give a little boost to my scores too. I hope to order everything tomorrow and have it in by Monday ...
    you would be better off getting 2x1 gig ram and running them dual channel.
    also, I believe that proc doesn't come with a heatsink/fan, so make sure you get one and if you plan to overclock the snot out of it, you better get a good one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast