Thread: where you live and why you love/hate it

where you live and why you love/hate it

Last edited by polluxmr2; 12-08-2007 at 09:04 PM.

I live in Texas and it sucks... It's too damn hot and it never snows. Come on, it's 65 degrees and it's December!!!! Looks like I will be celebrating Christmas in shorts... It has been getting up in the 70's all week... Friday it is going to be almost 80 degrees!!!
    Last edited by Beerknurd; 12-06-2007 at 02:20 AM.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I moved further away from the abattoir so now I don't hear the cows
    That wasn't a joke When the early morning cattle trains paused at the station you could hear them from miles away.

The theory of the work-live-play (aka work-live-shop etc.) proximity triangle is making inroads into civic planning (a good example and a more local reference). I have seen recommendations that for a less stressful ilfe you should aim for a triangle within a 30 kilometer radius. Whether the theory is correct or not will be seen in years to come.

I like the countryside (no cattle trains you see - no that's not it) I enjoyed the time I spent living and growing up at my grandparents' farm in the country. However, the higher wages are in the city. On the other hand the closer you get to the city the higher the rents, rates and house prices are. So we moved further out. As a result the rest of my family fit inside this profile but I am still commuting up to 4 hours each day (round trip).

It will be my goal to resolve that dichotomy next year - or relocate our triangle.
    I like where I live. I just wish I could move my job to there as well.
    Last edited by AMDave; 12-06-2007 at 08:59 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I live in Louisa Va which is just about in the center of the county of Louisa in Virginia, I am originally from Richmond and was born and raised in the city. I moved to Louisa with my present wife in 1982 to get away from the EX and since my wife JoAnn was from here it seemed like a logical decision. The town has a population of just over 1000, is still country in many respects and it is quite and peaceful here unlike living in the city. I own a 100+ year old farm house which we are still fixing up slowly as money allows and I can't think of living anywhere else.
    Other than the local Nuclear plant where I work part time there are no high paying jobs here so many like myself have to travel to Richmond or Charlottesville for our full time work, I drive 54 miles one way 4 days a week to my job in Richmond and work as needed at the Power Plant Friday's and weekends where I am a Tool Repair contractor.
    We may move somewhere in the Shenandoah Valley if and when we retire but since this house is paid for another mortgage would be a dumb move...

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

I live in the Pacific Northwest and even though I love it here I am obligated to tell you all that it rains all the time and we never see the sun so you would all hate it. I am a member of the "Lesser Seattle" movement that existed many years ago although I live 35 miles to the South in Tacoma.

I was born and raised up in Whatcom county, in WA. it is pretty much as north-west as you can get in the US. currently I live in Bellevue, WA because I work in Redmond. (they are right next to eachother) as soon as my job is up, I plan to move back to my birthplace, and get a real job (like construction) haha
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

PCmaniac, we are almost neighbors as the world goes.

I quit computing a few years ago after 30 years to work on old houses. Guess that's what Washingtonians do after life in computing.

Quote Originally Posted by moderna View Post
    PCmaniac, we are almost neighbors as the world goes.

I quit computing a few years ago after 30 years to work on old houses. Guess that's what Washingtonians do after life in computing.
    I think that is true! I know a few people that have worked in the field of computing, and high-tech, and now are much happier making 1/4 the money, and working with their hands...
    I love building things, and interior design is awesome!
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

Although buying, fixing, and reselling houses has been a pretty lucrative pastime over the past few years. Tougher times for now but I believe there will always be someone who needs a unique, well designed and well priced home.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Part of my growing up was in the King County, Washington area: Manor Way (1st grade), Kent (2nd grade), Enumclaw (3rd - 5th grade), Seattle (1/2 of 6th grade), Redmond (Issaquah actually - 6th, 7th & 8th grade), Bellevue (10th grade). My family moved a lot.

I have liked everywhere I have lived, except downtown Seattle. We weren't in the best neighborhood. While living in Seattle I did get to watch them building the King Dome. There are some nice and fun places in Seattle, it's just that where I lived wasn't so nice.