Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help making a decision...

Question Need help making a decision...

Hi guys, please excuse my absence to the forums, i have been a bit busy as of late. I finally got a job and now have some money that i want to use to build a new PC. However, after 2 years of not building any machines i need some help and advice and possibly some recommendations on the following specification:

Case: Lian Li A70B Black Aluminium (http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_1077.html)
    Processor: Intel Quad Core Q6600 (worth getting a Q6700?)
    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700-NT nVidia Tritium
    Memory: Corsair Memory TWIN2X2048-8500C5D (x2 = 4GB)
    GFX: Asustek GeForce 8800GTX 768MB or BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC
    Motherboard: Asustek Maximus Formula
    PSU: Coolermaster 850W Real Power
    Main OS HDD's: Western Digital 150GB Raptors (x2 in RAID 0)
    Operating System: Windows Vista x64 Home Premium
    DVD Drive: Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7191S 20x DVD±RW SATA (just noticed my previous spec was a DVD-ROM!)

Total cost is about £1400-ish ($2760) and will be built by myself

Things i am not too sure about is using Vista 64bit edition, is it stable and compatible enough to run games on? Is it worth getting a Q6700 over a Q6600 or is it just not worth the extra £200? Since the X38 motherboards are Crossfire only is it worth getting the new nForce 780i mb's instead in case i wanted to have SLI?

Anything else that you can see that's wrong or needs changing?
    Last edited by Evil-Dragon; 01-05-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Fixed DVD-ROM in spec

Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Dragon View Post

Things i am not too sure about is using Vista 64bit edition, is it stable and compatible enough to run games on? Is it worth getting a Q6700 over a Q6600 or is it just not worth the extra £200? Since the X38 motherboards are Crossfire only is it worth getting the new nForce 780i mb's instead in case i wanted to have SLI?

Anything else that you can see that's wrong or needs changing?
    If your willing to overclock, stick with the Q6600. I know people with them happily running at 3Ghz. Buy a decent mobo if you do..Money you'll save on getting a Q6600, use to buy a decent OC mobo and you'll be laughing.

No idea on Vista 64 for gaming but my Vista 32bit rig should be arriving next week and if you can wait, I'll let you know how that goes. Of course you wont be able to see all 4Gb RAM.

I'm getting an 512Mb 8800GT. From reviews it's pretty much equivalent to a 8800GTX for much less. Maybe worth investigating? You could SLI them for awesome power as well ;)

Bar that, looks good.

Personally I went for capacity over performance, I've got 1Tb worth of hard drives turning up (2 x 500Gb)

yup you cant go wrong with the q6600, Zalman, or that Asus board.

I'm getting ready to put that same zalman on one of my new q6600's, its the best air cooler I've seen, you cant do any better without going the WC route, which will gain you some more speed to. 3.6 ghz is easy on water, 3.4-3.5 is not to tuff with the Zalman on Air. Make sure you get a G0 stepping model of the q6600. Forget about the 6700.

Need help making a decision...

By the Way, Welcome back to the forums Evil-Dragon we missed your shinning voice!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    yup you cant go wrong with the q6600, Zalman, or that Asus board.

I'm getting ready to put that same zalman on one of my new q6600's, its the best air cooler I've seen, you cant do any better without going the WC route, which will gain you some more speed to. 3.6 ghz is easy on water, 3.4-3.5 is not to tuff with the Zalman on Air. Make sure you get a G0 stepping model of the q6600. Forget about the 6700.
    mitchell, you have more experience than me with quads (mine hasnt arrived yet) but I do know the zalman is crap compared to the thermalright ultra 120 extreme (search reviews). if you want to have good performance of the zalman it has to turn full speed which translates to lots and lots of noise. agreed you need to buy your own fan for the thermalright, so the combined cost may be a bit higher than for the zalman. I got 2 for my new sysems and m fiend ordered one as well to replace his zalman in his old system. the problem with the thermalright might be that its just huge, 1 or 2 cm taller than the scythe ninja. hope my input is useful

Many thanks for your inputs. That Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme looks a real heavy beast, looks like it could snap a mb in half! Is there any issues with having that CPU cooler bending/weakening the MB?

Hi Evil, Nice box your building, I use a Cooler Master Aquagate Mini water cooler for my CPU, I've now got a Opteron 180 running F@H smp client and I haven't seen temps above 51c, even when my computer room is HOT.I've had this cooler two years now, my computer is always running 100% on something and the only problem is the fan needed to be taken apart and the shaft re lubricated. Very easy really...thats all I've done to it in two years.The fan speed is adjustable and it's fairly quiet...

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

yup your right Frederic, the Thermalright is prob a better air cooler according to the reviews, I've just kinda standardized and had good results with the zalman. Maybe I'll try one of those Thermalright next. That Aquagate Mini water cooler has got good results as well, but I've read that for a 4 core this is on the edge of being able to drain the heat away from a quad. I do have a galaxy 500 Wc on a q6600 and I've been running in at 3.65 for a least a year although its runs about 60c.

I used the Thermaltake Big Typhoon on a lot of my Quads with varying success. I also tried the Thermaltake V1 but don't feel it's as good as the Big Typhoon, it installs easier but doesn't cool the CPU as good.

The last 3 Quads I put together I used the CoolIt Freezone Cooler & I like it, it keeps the Go Q6600 Quad's @ 50c or below while running them @ 3.6 GHZ. It's a bit expensive @ $250+ but it installs easy when the proper Case is used and it does a good cooling job too ...
    Last edited by PoorBoy; 01-06-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Things are on a bit of a go slow with building the new machine... in fact i haven't bought a single component yet.

The problem? Everywhere in the UK that sells the case i want is out of stock

Without a suitable case there's no point moving forward and purchasing anything. Who knows, i've waited 2 years to build a new PC, a few months extra probably won't hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast