Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMDusers Internet stats

AMDusers Internet stats

I have searched after AMDusers on Internet because I was curious what was out there. I found a site as show the Internet hits and we have got down. Click on this link and watch the page. There is some statistic such where peoples is looking. 2% watch the stats and 98% our forum. I think it is bad we have got down in the stats. But it is no surprise. We all have for sure discovered a reduction of how frequently we use our forum. But even visitors must have decreased.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/amdusers.com

If you click on this link from Dec 22 2003 you can see how our homepage looked like. We had that time 88 members!

http://web.archive.org/web/20031228035911/http://www.amdusers.com/

When we had our old homepage we could watch the Internet stats month by month but not now I think.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

We have seen some pretty good and board active crunchers (Mitro and Opteron initially come to mind) leave us for some reason - no doubt there are many more.

Well here goes...

I do not believe that the problem is just here alone. If you go out gandering at the other team boards the one recurring theme you keep seeing is that of team membership. People leave for many reasons, but one that I've heard repeated to me by people that have left is that they resent being pushed into projects that they really either don't want to crunch, or just purely aren't interested in. I guess it just boils down to like in real life where people have their own agendas for one reason or another. And rather than get into a pi$$ing contest with others, it is just easier for them to keep their mouth shut and leave. That is one of *the* major points with Free-DC, people being able to crunch what they wanted, whether it was with FDC or another team, or any project. And every now and then, you will see posted in their threads on projects where some members have become a little too exuberant in their enthusiasm for a certain project and the *recommendations* of crunching it to mentioned members, that a team member jumps right in and reminds everyone that the members are free to crunch what they want and aren't to be pressured. And it's a fine line, cause everyone is different in this world, and what is meant as good natured fun to one person can easily be interpreted as being hassled to another person. And not to say that FDC is problem free, cause also in their forums you see comments in threads popping up regarding they need new members. So dwindling membership is definitely not a unique thing to this team, cause it's happening all over really.

I have noticed though that some of the larger teams are centered around something that provides avenues for stuff besides just crunching. XtremeSystems, BroadbandReports, and ARS for instance have pretty stong boards that deal with some hard core hardware support and associated items, and also have some support from a commercial end of things in one way or another. Then there are teams like Team Norway, DPC, some Russian, German, UK and Aussie ones that have some national pride basis wrapped into their membership and team spirit thing. The point being here that all those mentioned teams have something besides just crunching to maintain the team members interests. Crunching stuff along doesn't give much food for thought so to speak after a while cause things tend to be talking about the same old thing over and over. Go take a peek at XtremeSystems for instance, take a look at the whole spectrum of their board forums/threads. You will notice that the volume of message/posting traffic is much higher in their non-DC teams stuff than in just their crunching threads. In fact their crunching threads are fairly sparse and boring.

I am currently going through another one of those unenthusiastic about crunching periods that I think we all get into from time to time. It's an expensive hobby, but it's also a hobby that needs some other stuff to keep the activity interest going team wise, to help maintain interest in communicating and posting with others. The social aspect of DC teams can't be forgotten, because without it, the teams whither and die in a hurry.

Another thing to notice with the large teams is that they aren't "owned" by anyone. They are highly organized with a specific set of rules and behaviors that are strictly enforced to keep the recurring problematic issues from surfacing or resurfacing and causing dissension among members.

Just some thoughts that have floated through the brain while sitting here typing away.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Well here goes...

I do not believe that the problem is just here alone. If you go out gandering at the other team boards the one recurring theme you keep seeing is that of team membership. People leave for many reasons, but one that I've heard repeated to me by people that have left is that they resent being pushed into projects that they really either don't want to crunch, or just purely aren't interested in. I guess it just boils down to like in real life where people have their own agendas for one reason or another. And rather than get into a pi$$ing contest with others, it is just easier for them to keep their mouth shut and leave. That is one of *the* major points with Free-DC, people being able to crunch what they wanted, whether it was with FDC or another team, or any project. And every now and then, you will see posted in their threads on projects where some members have become a little too exuberant in their enthusiasm for a certain project and the *recommendations* of crunching it to mentioned members, that a team member jumps right in and reminds everyone that the members are free to crunch what they want and aren't to be pressured. And it's a fine line, cause everyone is different in this world, and what is meant as good natured fun to one person can easily be interpreted as being hassled to another person. And not to say that FDC is problem free, cause also in their forums you see comments in threads popping up regarding they need new members. So dwindling membership is definitely not a unique thing to this team, cause it's happening all over really.

I have noticed though that some of the larger teams are centered around something that provides avenues for stuff besides just crunching. XtremeSystems, BroadbandReports, and ARS for instance have pretty stong boards that deal with some hard core hardware support and associated items, and also have some support from a commercial end of things in one way or another. Then there are teams like Team Norway, DPC, some Russian, German, UK and Aussie ones that have some national pride basis wrapped into their membership and team spirit thing. The point being here that all those mentioned teams have something besides just crunching to maintain the team members interests. Crunching stuff along doesn't give much food for thought so to speak after a while cause things tend to be talking about the same old thing over and over. Go take a peek at XtremeSystems for instance, take a look at the whole spectrum of their board forums/threads. You will notice that the volume of message/posting traffic is much higher in their non-DC teams stuff than in just their crunching threads. In fact their crunching threads are fairly sparse and boring.

I am currently going through another one of those unenthusiastic about crunching periods that I think we all get into from time to time. It's an expensive hobby, but it's also a hobby that needs some other stuff to keep the activity interest going team wise, to help maintain interest in communicating and posting with others. The social aspect of DC teams can't be forgotten, because without it, the teams whither and die in a hurry.

Another thing to notice with the large teams is that they aren't "owned" by anyone. They are highly organized with a specific set of rules and behaviors that are strictly enforced to keep the recurring problematic issues from surfacing or resurfacing and causing dissension among members.

Just some thoughts that have floated through the brain while sitting here typing away.
    cant be f'ed reading all of it, but I never heard of our team pushing people to participate in projects. anyway, I ike it here (completely irrelevant of course, but still)

Interesting

This team is hardware based in its orientation. I wonder how the hit stats would look against the prominence of AMD as the leader in the CPU wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic Brillouet View Post
    cant be f'ed reading all of it, but I never heard of our team pushing people to participate in projects. anyway, I ike it here (completely irrelevant of course, but still)
    Like I said, it's easier to just not say anything than post offering comments or suggestions rather than get into sessions. Lagu was just wondering why people were leaving. Sorry I mentioned anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Like I said, it's easier to just not say anything than post offering comments or suggestions rather than get into sessions. Lagu was just wondering why people were leaving. Sorry I mentioned anything.
    Bruce I'm not blaiming anyone. I'm just not having the best days of my life at the moment. Chill.
    Last edited by Frederic Brillouet; 01-06-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Brucifer made a few good points. There are quite a few projects that I'm simply not interested in. If I don't see any human or scientific value in a project, well, I simply don't care about it. Even when we have a Team push I'm only half hearted about my contribution if the project seems to have little human or scientific value. If the team simply jumps from project to project then resources are taken from another project and then the first project will lose production and will have to be made up later. I tend to wonder what was gained. I'm not saying to stop the team pushes, it's just that not all of us may be interested in any particular project - just as I have noticed that not everyone is interested in the projects that I support. While I suppose it's natural that I'd want many others to have the same values that I do, it's become obvious to me that such an expectation is unrealistic. In the end what is important is that we are all contributing to what we think is important in our own way, and the team benefits from our unique efforts.

Another point Brucifer made is the one about having strong topics other than crunching. Personally I'd like to see more overclocking hints and advice without having to go to another team site to get information. This is one thing that I miss Mitro for, but it takes more than just a few people interested in a topic to keep it alive. Myself, I don't know enough about overclocking to attempt it without worrying about frying one of my few crunching resources. Thermal transferance and heat dissipation I can handle, the actual five dozen memory, clock and other settings and the tools to perform such are where I have little knowledge. While I cannot afford to go out and purchase the components to build a new system every month, I would be interested in learning how to squeeze some additional WU's from the systems I do have.

A last thing... AMD is presently getting it's CPU and GPU tails handed back to them by Intel and Invidia. It's always a difficult thing when your home team is being pummled, whether from the outside or the inside - or both. However, in the longer-term I think that the AMD/ATI combo can eventually lead to an integrated system that can exceed the the singular efforts of either.

I do agree we could use some other small talk or things besides crunching alone indeed. The short stories and the humor section sparks life, yet those alone are not sufficient to sustain a forum life. The Chat is an awesome tool for chit chat and stuff though. But indeed some (ex-)members used to bring some life here, yet I wouldnt want to live a day without Nflight's companionship, Ototero's stats, Lagu's humor, Vaughan's trips, Poorboy's continuous steam rolling force, Bender10's bbq'ing stories, Beerknurd's ehh Beerknurdness and all the other things our other team members do!

Poorboy's continuous steam rolling force
    Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way is my Contribution to the Team I guess ... ... Don't Post too much but I do monitor the Forum Board quite often to at least keep up with any new things going on with the Team.

I don't do Chat Rooms either mainly because I like to think first then Type my response and by the time I do that nobody knows what the heck I'm talking about anyway ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast