Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AMDusers Internet stats

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Same here Steve. I have been "promoted" to LAN manager also known as the guy who fixes the hardware for the LAN party. Multi-tasking is also a prerequisite for this role as it includes cooking and waitering functions too.
    Back in '88 I started playing GemStone II, then GemStone III and later GemStone IV (Owned by Simutronics - you can find them at http://www.play.net/). I started working for Simutronics around '92 - helping to write the game code. I worked for them for six years (as GameMaster Romulus) developing background system maintenance, load balancing and system auto-recovery assistance utilities. I developed their first GSL-based creature auto generation and outfitting utilities and I developed the first tools for storing, manipulating and sorting data in 3-D cells - and I was their Sorcery class guru/developer for the last few years. The coding and development was far more fun than the playing, until the politics and other issues got between me and my doing a good job.

To be blunt; the pay was dismal. A couple hundred $$ per month for 150 - 200 hours work each month. Coding was, for me, more about the opportunity to learn and see what I could do with the code. When it got to where I had to answer for every single thing I did and to clear everything through a list of approvers I decided it was time for me to move on. I don't work well with a politically-correct big brother breathing down my back.

They aren't the only place though that let the politics basically shoot the goose that laid the golden egg. Seems to be an all to common problem anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    I don't know about internet usage over this weekend, but posting wise this has sure been a dead weekend! Everybody take a trip to Shanghai or something?
    Well I was in Austin, TX all weekend, so that will explain the lack of meaningless posts I normally leave while sitting at home on the weekends doing nothing...

I don't think you should all beat yourselves up about fluctuations in forum usage...I think it comes with the territory! If I don't come back very often it's either because my pc is going well...or it's not!

I came here because of the Weather project, which I believed in, and found easy to get started, but a bit of a PITA to finish!

I am willing to join more projects, but have not found a Janet &John reader to get me safely attached to one...and it's taken me this long to say so!
    Also had router problems....which you guys helped me sort out! (Ta!)

One of the other reasons I come back is that you guys make me feel at home...don't talk down to me, even though I am often lost in the finer details of computing! I have used one for a long time, and obviously picked up quite a lot...strictly on a 'need to know' basis...but some of you will have guessed that already? Yes? No, really guys...I know I'm not the most clued up...but then, lots of you couldn't have done what I did!

So...yes...my visits are sporadic...but that's probably a good thing! But you are building the reputation for welcoming all comers...regardless of PC knowledge....so the fluctuations will lessen! It doesn't matter what business you're in...fluctuations are a way of life...don't worry!

AMDusers Internet stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    I don't think you should all beat yourselves up about fluctuations in forum usage...I think it comes with the territory! If I don't come back very often it's either because my pc is going well...or it's not!

I came here because of the Weather project, which I believed in, and found easy to get started, but a bit of a PITA to finish!

I am willing to join more projects, but have not found a Janet & John reader to get me safely attached to one
    ...and it's taken me this long to say so!
    Also had router problems....which you guys helped me sort out! (Ta!)

One of the other reasons I come back is that you guys make me feel at home...don't talk down to me, even though I am often lost in the finer details of computing!

So...yes...my visits are sporadic...but that's probably a good thing! But you are building the reputation for welcoming all comers...regardless of PC knowledge....so the fluctuations will lessen! It doesn't matter what business you're in...fluctuations are a way of life...don't worry!

I highlighted the best things Dee pointed out in BOLD. Thank you for the kind words, There are many of us who can help you attach to another project in any Operating System you run. Let us lead you to another challenging adventure in crunching work units using your computer. Tell us what your desire would be, and we will walk you through step by step.

Again Thank You for the kind words Dee.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

You could come to regret these words!
    Tell us what your desire would be, and we will walk you through step by step.
    OK...I have family illness, Mum's having another batch of RT soon, which means short projects for the time being...and my background leans me towards the medically based projects...and I only have one computer hooked up at the moment...what do you recommend?

Hi Dee

Not a member of your team but may I recommend Poem@home.
    Is a promising little project with reliable servers etc.

AMD Users has a team already so just a case of attaching to the project in boinc manager and then joining your team.

If you like work with short work units may I suggest Malaria Control?

Of course there are other choices-I am sure your team mates will guide you well

Dee, the Medical Projects are all in our Forum with links on how to get to them with most (all?) having instructions on set-up, joining AMD Users team etc. If you get stuck ask us a question or three.

Non-BOINC:
    D2OL Searches for cures for human diseases like Malaria, Anthrax, SARS, Smallpox and Ebola using the Sengent software

and

TSC Searches for a cure for children with Tuberous Sclerosis Complex, a genetic disorder that leads to benign tumors in multiple organs using the Sengent software

Folding@Home Analysis of protein folding and conformational change in the tertiary structure of proteins. This runs very well on the Sony PS3 console and can also be run on some graphics (video) cards as well as your standard PC

BOINC:
    World Community Grid

A Distributed effort in several areas. 1. Fight AIDS at Home 2. Human Proteome project 3. Muscular Dystrophy 4. Genome Comparison 5. Help Defeat Cancer

Malaria Control.Net
    The MalariaControl.net project computes stochastic modelling of the clinical epidemiology and history of Plasmodium falciparum malaria

Poem@Home
    POEM@HOME is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to research and predict protein structure

Rosetta@Home
    Protein folding, design and docking

SIMAP
    SIMAP - SImilarity MAtrix of Proteins - is a database of protein similarities that are computed using the FASTA algorithm which provides optimal speed and sensitivity. Has work occasionally, usually near the end or beginning of each month.

Spinhenge@Home
    Support the research of nano-magnetic molecules. In the future these molecules will be used in local tumor chemotherapy and to develop tiny memory-modules

Superlink@Technion
    Superlink@Technion helps geneticists all over the world find disease-provoking genes causing some types of diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), cancer, schizophrenia and many others. This project has very short tasks - a few minutes each.

Tanpaku
    Protein folding project from the Tokyo University of Science. We were recently bumped from 2nd to 3rd placed team in the world in this project by Ars Technica, one of our friendly rival teams.
    Last edited by vaughan; 01-25-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234