Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another New Release 2.0.5.1

Welcome back.

With $15,000 of loses, I'd call the Insurance company.

As others have said, at least you're ok.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Welcome back Terry, good to know you're allright. I agree with Stuart: the insurance company needs to do what its paid for.

Welcome Back Gatekeeper53, with 13 inches of Rain most of us thought you floated down to the next county, or took up scuba diving like others in your area. Glad to see you survived. Amazing story you just told! It was not your fault the lightning struck the house I would call the insurance company and get your financial worth from those yearly payments you made.

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by gatekeeper53 View Post
    Welllll we had a lightning strike that took out 7 of my puters. And my ISP (who I had had to much trouble from already) So I spent the last 2 weeks working on getting a better uplink. I worked out a deal with the local cable company to get use of their connection. All I had to do was run a cable to where their system passes on the county road (about 2/3 of a mile from my house) and they put in a junction so I could connect. I had to buy and bury almost 4,000 feet of coax that was swept to 3Gh and I now have 6Mb service, up from about 1.5 Mb. Now all I need to do is to get some computers up and running. Since I turned in 5 that a storm got 2 years ago I have decided to just slowly rebuild at my own expense rather than have my insurance bill go up. For the time being I think I'll just run Majestic12 for awhile as 1 or 2 machines just won't make that much difference. I'm waiting on parts for 3 more (no upgrades just getting the ones up that are the cheapest right now) In a month or 2 I plan on sitting down and building some quads. I just got up on the net on Thursday and everything is still calming down. Read the "wife" is calming down. lol Her machine took the worst of it and lost cpu, MB, PS, both hard drives, so at least she still has a case and strangely the ram seems to be fine lol. Her laptop was plugged in and it lost the HD and charger. Of the 4 4800+'s in the house mine is the only one still running. We also lost 3 TV's, the refrigerator, both of the kids tv's and stereos and several game systems, the washer and dryer, and all the breakers in the main box. It all came to over $15,000 so the puters are getting sacrificed to buy upgraded models of everything else. The speed test below is with Majestic12 running I was hitting over 8,000 last night.
    Thats to bad Terry, I hope everything is ok with you and your family also that you get your puters up and running again soon. I put $25,000 of Insurance on mine a few years ago, don't really know if that would cover them all but if they would just give me the money I could probably rebuild them for that amount ...

Wow...what a horror story, I've had lightning strikes very close too, but not THAT much damage. We had a mini tornado blow through my end of town last fall and a lot of neighbors lost their roofs and suffered a lot of vinyl siding damage as did we, I only had like $4,500 damage to everything... we were lucky. Wish you good luck getting everything rebuilt...and the others are right about the insurance as you know, when you file a claim they always seem to get it back with rate increases !!Done it to us every time.

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

Welcome back Terry!

I can´t understand how mych damege you got. If we gets a circuit brake here no damage is done on any of my computers or any electrical machines. Is there a difference between Sveden and USA?

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic Brillouet View Post
    Welcome back Terry, good to know you're allright. I agree with Stuart: the insurance company needs to do what its paid for.
    Sigh..... yes, that is what first comes to ones mind. However from personal experience, that isn't necessarily the way you want to go in real life. Once upon a time I lived in a house in a much wetter part of the country and one day in the middle of a huge downpour, it seems that an outside electrical connector (UL certified water-proofed type) somehow shorted out, and started a fire. Did about 60,000 US worth of damage to the place. The insurer was one of the major companies in the US market. The house had been build following all the rules, codes, etc., and had passed all required inspections during the building. Well after all was said and done, yes, the insurance company paid for the damage, however they also cancelled out the policy saying that the house was not the type of house they cared to insure as it wasn't up to their standards........... even though all permits, inspections, etc., were in compliance and all. Just their way of cancelling out a policy, and then of course that goes against your record in the big insurance databank in the sky which causes your rates to go up with no matter who you insure with.

Being a poor sailor at the time I didn't have the bucks to rebuild my house without the insurance claim. But after that little experience in my lifetime, for a hit of $15,000 (as in Terry's case) I would just eat it and rebuild out of my own pocket. Dealing with "real property" aka houses, it just isn't the same as taking a claim on your auto insurance. So I fully understand where Terry is at and what he is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Sigh..... yes, that is what first comes to ones mind. However from personal experience, that isn't necessarily the way you want to go in real life. Once upon a time I lived in a house in a much wetter part of the country and one day in the middle of a huge downpour, it seems that an outside electrical connector (UL certified water-proofed type) somehow shorted out, and started a fire. Did about 60,000 US worth of damage to the place. The insurer was one of the major companies in the US market. The house had been build following all the rules, codes, etc., and had passed all required inspections during the building. Well after all was said and done, yes, the insurance company paid for the damage, however they also cancelled out the policy saying that the house was not the type of house they cared to insure as it wasn't up to their standards........... even though all permits, inspections, etc., were in compliance and all. Just their way of cancelling out a policy, and then of course that goes against your record in the big insurance databank in the sky which causes your rates to go up with no matter who you insure with.

Being a poor sailor at the time I didn't have the bucks to rebuild my house without the insurance claim. But after that little experience in my lifetime, for a hit of $15,000 (as in Terry's case) I would just eat it and rebuild out of my own pocket. Dealing with "real property" aka houses, it just isn't the same as taking a claim on your auto insurance. So I fully understand where Terry is at and what he is talking about.
    US is different in insuring indeed (I noticed that in the movie "Sicko" by Michael More). You also have the rediculous lawsuit claims, while here in Europe that just doesnt work. Good ol' US again I see.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    Thanks Guys. Most of it will be covered by insurance, in talking to my agent he let me know that the company I am insured with has an "unwritten" policy that anything over $15,000 brings a rather large increase in premiums . So we are trying to keep the claim in the 14,000 to 14,500 range. Therefore if I leave off the computers we should get by with a minimal increase. The large amount of damage was due to the lightning striking the weatherhead (the pipe that goes up from the main breaker panel through the roof) and frying everything in it's path. That pipe has been replaced with and underground connection now. It's not really so bad at least it didn't fry the generator that I had installed last summer and no one was in the least bit injured. The thing is that until we get everything back in place my hobby (read obsession) is having to take a back seat till we see for sure where we stand. The worst that can happen is that Jen will feel sorry for me and let me build some new quads. So I'll just limp along and enjoy what puters I can patch together for awhile. Once everything is replaced and momma is happy I can turn the screws! lol God I love my NewEgg credit card!!! In a couple of months I plan on trying to wear it out.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

I know you could not have covered everything, but would surge protectors have helped cut down some of the loss -- at least your computers and TVs?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast