Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: PC sick or what?

PC sick or what?

Hi guys...haven't been able to chat recently...haven't been able to do anything much at all really!
    Don't know what's up with it...but have had several instances of xp professional not loading up...wondered whether anyone knows of suspected issues with MSN Messenger 8x...or possibly game...Ricochet Infinity making it fall over, Now have 2G Ram...but even then it fell over! Could it be too many usb ports??? (16) not all used...honest!

I will get around to joining you again...when this settles down!

have you tried running chkdsk ? ie start select run then type cmd then type chkdsk /r

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    have you tried running chkdsk ? ie start select run then type cmd then type chkdsk /r
    Shouldn´t it be the gear /f. Did you mean a controll of the HDD or what?

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Quote Originally Posted by Lagu View Post
    Shouldn´t it be the gear /f. Did you mean a controll of the HDD or what?

Lagu
    well to me it sounds like hd might have some failing sectors since it will boot successfully sometimes, thats why i asked if chkdsk /r had been run and using /f will only fix errors not bad sectors and /r implies /f so /r rdoes both at the same time from what i understand, basically if it was my computer thats the first thing i would try

Thanks guys...I had heard of chkdsk...but wasn't sure about /f....now I understand...it means fix!! SO WHY CAN'T I JUST WRITE /F??? Just kidding! I'll do a few backups that I need and then try it...just in case!

BTW..I left it on overnight so I knew booting this morning WASN'T going to be an issue!
    Last edited by Dee; 02-10-2008 at 09:03 AM.

best of luck with it

Might be worth sticking the XP disc in when it's booting, and running a repair or re-install of Windows. Check your event log too.

Oh, and try an F8 at boot for the boot menu, and select boot logging. Then you'll see if it's a hardware, driver or software issue.

Quote Originally Posted by spikey_richie View Post
    Might be worth sticking the XP disc in when it's booting, and running a repair or re-install of Windows. Check your event log too.

Oh, and try an F8 at boot for the boot menu, and select boot logging. Then you'll see if it's a hardware, driver or software issue.
    Oops! Didn't see all that before I did the chkwotsit....but when I did chkdsk/f...
    this came up!

C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERde26.dir00\Mini0 21008-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERde26.dir00\sysda ta.xml

Technical Information
    Troubleshooting Machine Check Crashes

Problem caused by computer hardware
    This problem was caused by an unrecoverable hardware error that caused the operating system to stop functioning.
    Troubleshooting

If you have received this error more than once, it could indicate a serious problem with your computer. We recommend that you do the following:
    1. Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure.
    2. Contact the original manufacturer of your computer to determine the specific component which is failing.
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/User/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]Additional technical information

YIKES!! Now what?
    Doing a backup as we speak...
    The pc was built for me...not a DELL :P
    recent doubled ram to 2G
    Changed graphic card
    added more usb ports

all after the first crash...
    the only new component prior to the first crash was a logitec ultra to replace the 4000,
    Last edited by Dee; 02-11-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Hopefully you are doing a backup with software that will allow you to transfer the backup to another hard drive. I would go right out to the store and buy a new hard drive, and then install that in the system. Don't even mess around with trying to fix the one you have as it's on it's way out of this existence. Best to just get a new one, like a Seagate with a 5 year warranty, any of them that has a 5 year warranty. They will be a decent drive. The 3 year and below stuff just aren't as good a drive and will fail sooner.

I am in the process of doing the very same thing to my wife's parent's computer as it also had a boot up issue, and the drive is beginning to come apart.

Go to here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

There's some programs half way down to open minidump files.

Open up the most recent of those, and scroll to the VERY end. The last line (most likely) will tell you what went wrong.

Where in the UK are you based Dee?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast