Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notes on the FaH GPU

Thanks drezha..I've done that...so now I'm trying to set it up...my user name is 0dee...but what is the team number?

13129 unless that has changed since I crunched it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    13129 unless that has changed since I crunched it.
    Thanks Brucifer...I take it you'd all like me to get you into the top 100? Joke!! I know you all work hard at it...and mine is but a drop in the ocean!

well Dee that's about all any of us are. Since the PS3 has come into the f@h game, it has totally overwhelmed all the work the other stuff has contributed. Now if you really wanted to be the "Belle of the Ball" you could go buy a PS3 and be an instant heroine!

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    well Dee that's about all any of us are. Since the PS3 has come into the f@h game, it has totally overwhelmed all the work the other stuff has contributed. Now if you really wanted to be the "Belle of the Ball" you could go buy a PS3 and be an instant heroine!
    On my nurses' pension?...ha ha ha! So What's a PS3 anyway? Oh...that has to be the new PS2...I've got a PS2...well...I bought it for Andrew...and the grandchildren...
    Last edited by Dee; 02-22-2008 at 05:32 PM.

hahahahha

There you go, just buy a PS3 for Andrew and the grandchildred......... only don't let them near it!!!

I'm really looking hard at getting one of them............. not for the granddaughters though.

I think I'll just get it for me....

only I need to do some playing with it for the dc world.

I should have asked...how come a PS3 has the edge over a PC? Can it really be the graphics card???

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    I should have asked...how come a PS3 has the edge over a PC? Can it really be the graphics card???
    No, it's a different processor arrangement.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Hi Dee.

Great to see you interested in another project.

To make things easier I fixed up our sticky notes in our FaH forum.

Our FaH team number is now stuck up there and also Lagu's link to the FaH wiki.
    The FaH wiki has links to lots of how-to's and also plenty of background information.

Now, to answer your question: The PS3 has a special CPU in it with 7 or 8 "cores" (like having 7 or 8 CPUs in your desktop instead of just 1 or 2). However, these cores have been specially designed for parallel processing graphics (like games).

The PS3 cpu can handle much more complex work at once, however it is specially modified work to use the parallel capability that the PS3 has. So the work unit that goes to the PS3 clients cannot be processed by a CPU in a PC or by a GPU on a graphics card.

There is lots more information on the wiki that explains these things.

If you can't find the answer to a question on the wiki get back to us here and we will get to the bottom of it for you.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Thanks Dave! Ooo- I've just spotted the team number there!
    Last edited by Dee; 02-23-2008 at 12:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12