Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: No Prime Left Behind Math Project

No Prime Left Behind Math Project

I don't know where to put this so I apologize.

No Prime Left Behind is searching for primes of the form k*2^n-1 for all 300 < k <= 1001 from n=260K-1M.
    A LLRNet server was set up

With LLRnet, you can perform LLR tests automatically. No need to mess with reserving/reporting ranges and all that stuff. No need to worry about whether your machine will run out of work in the middle of the night or while you're on vacation. Just set it and forget it!

LLRnet is very simple to set up--in less than 5 minutes you can be all set and crunching away! It's perfect for users who just want to donate their spare CPU cycles to a worthy cause without adding a degree of complexity to their computer use. (That's not to say that it isn't great for advanced users, too. ) It's also great for work computers, since you can set it up on a computer and not have to worry about having it run out of work while it's not accessible. (Sorry, LLRnet doesn't currently work with HTTP/SOCKS proxy servers. There is one workaround that I know of, but it's more technically oriented--if you're interested, either PM me or post here.)

Here's all you need to do:

1. Download the LLRnet client software for your operating system. LLRnet is available for Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD.

Click one of the following links to download LLRnet:

http://bugmesticky.googlepages.com/L...win32-NPLB.zip
    http://bugmesticky.googlepages.com/L...x-NPLB.tar.bz2
    http://bugmesticky.googlepages.com/L...sd-NPLB.tar.gz

All are 32-bit; sorry, no 64-bit version available. However, because of the type of work that LLR does, 64-bit would have minimal, if any, speed increases.

2. Extract the files from the archive you just downloaded. C:\llrnet is a good choice (or /home/username/llrnet for Linux users).

3. Navigate to the folder where you extracted LLRnet. Open up the llr-clientconfig.txt file in your favorite text editor. You'll notice a little ways down from the top a line that says the following:

username = "nobody"

Change "nobody" to your mersenneforum.org username. For example, I would set this to "CarlosEduardo. This ensures that numbers you work on are credited properly to you in the stats that will be published periodically. (If you'd rather crunch anonymously, i.e. not have your crunching associated with your mersenneforum.org username, simply set this to something different. You can actually punch in anything you want here, though most users will probably want to punch in your mersenneforum username.)

Save the file, and close out your text editor.

4. Doubleclick on the file named "llrnet.exe" to start LLRnet and get crunching! (On Linux and FreeBSD this will be just "llrnet".) You'll see an LLRnet icon appear in your system tray if you're running Windows, and you can right-click on the icon and click a button to pop up a GUI from which you can monitor your work. You can click another button on the right-click menu to open up a console and monitor your work from there. (Note: When you want to close out the console window, don't just close out the window. Instead, right-click on the LLRnet icon, and click "detach console". Otherwise, you'll close out the LLRnet program, which you probably don't want to do.) Linux users won't see a system tray icon, but they will get a GUI that pops up if they're using the stock version. (If you want to get the GUI back up after closing it out, navigate to your LLRnet folder and run the remote-gui.sh file.) To see the console, you'll want to start LLRnet from a command window--navigate to the LLRnet folder, and type the command "./llrnet" (without quotes). (With the console open, simply press Ctrl-C to stop LLRnet.)

5. If you want to have LLRnet run automatically when you start your computer, simply right-click the LLRnet system tray icon and click "Add LLRnet service". Or, if you'd rather only run LLRnet when your username is logged on, click the Start button, and navigate to All Programs, then double-click on the item named "Startup". A folder window will open. In a separate window, navigate to your LLRnet folder. Drag the llrnet.exe icon, with the right mouse button, to the Startup folder, and let go of the mouse button. Choose "Create Shortcut" from the menu that appears.

LLRnet FAQ

Q: Is there a deadline for returning LLRnet results?
    A: Yes. Currently the deadline is 7 days from the time when the number was handed out to your client. After 7 days, if you still haven't finished crunching your number (or simply haven't been able to return it yet even if it is finished), it will be assigned to another person.

Q: Can I cancel a number that I don't actually want to crunch for whatever reason, or is over deadline?
    A: Yes. Simply open up a command prompt (on Windows it's Start>Run, then type "cmd" and press Enter), navigate to the LLRnet folder (by typing the "cd" command, such as: "cd c:\llrnet"), and type the command "llrnet -c" and press Enter. LLRnet will start, cancel the current number, and close. (Your command window will still be left open.) Note that if you have a cache size greater than 1 (the default is 5), then you'll have to enter that command again for each additional number in the cache that you want to cancel. (LLRnet will say "no numbers left to cancel" if you've canceled them all and you execute the command again.)

Q: Can I run LLRnet on a multi-core system and still utilize all the cores?
    Yes, though LLRnet by default can only utilize one core. Thus, you'll have to run multiple copies of LLRnet. Simply, when installing, extract the archive you downloaded into as many folders as you have cores (such as c:\llrnet, c:\llrnet2, etc.). Then, configure the llr-clientconfig.txt for each core (you have to configure each installation separately--and make sure to change the GUIPort value to something different on everything except the first installation. You'll also have to change this value in the llr-guiconfig.txt for the installations that have been set to a different GUIPort.), and run the llrnet.exe (or "llrnet" on Linux/FreeBSD) in each installation. You'll see as many LLRnet icons in your system tray as you have cores--you can control each core's LLRnet separately. (You can also configure one core's GUI to control all the other cores, too, though that's a little bit more of an advanced topic--you can either try to figure it out on your own, or just post here begging for help. )

Q: I'm not constantly connected to the Internet. Can I set LLRnet to keep a larger queue to last until the next connect?
    A: Yes. Simply close out LLRnet, open up llr-clientconfig.txt, set the "WUCacheSize" value to however many workunits you want to keep in queue, and restart LLRnet. The maximum is 100, though that should be more than plenty even for the small numbers we're doing right now.

Q: I'm on a team. do I have to do anything special with LLRnet?
    A: Yes. Simply edit the llr-clientconfig.txt file so that the line that says
    username = "yournickname"
    instead says
    username = "teamname_yournickname"
    username = "AMDUsers_yournickname"

Q: I'm already experienced with LLRnet, and I just want to know what to punch in to my already-set-up copy of LLRnet for it to work with NPLB. Out with it man, already!
    A: server = "crus.dynip.telepac.pt"
    port = 300

Forum at http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=82

On www.rieselprime.org -> NPLB Project (left menu) you can find many project information
    and links to the current scoring tables. Also available is the status of the Team Drives with current
    reservations and completions and found primes too.

Carlos
    Last edited by CarlosEduardo; 02-20-2008 at 10:32 AM.

No Prime Left Behind score table at :http://www.rieselprime.org/nplb/NPLB_Scoring.htm

There will be a 24-hour NPLB LLRnet rally this weekend beginning at 7 PM GMT Saturday 2/23 on port 100 of the LLRnet server.

Just to remain:

port 100 - Lower range to process but faster ones
    port 300 - Top 5000 candidates

to me this sounds like a fly by night circus and you suggest that 32 vs 64 bit version would not gain anything even with a badly ported version from linux to windows you have twice the reg's increased memeory bandwidth ect and based on a lot of other maths based projects in regards to primes ect work units should run around twice as fast if not faster and from your detailed instructions as how to get this app workng i am assuming that it is not / will not be based on boinc
    Last edited by Danish Dynamite; 02-20-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo

Danish, LLR is application used by the other maths based projects on BOINC already (Riesel Sieve, Prime grid etc) and they run it by using a wrapper application to get BOINC to start up the LLR program. But you are right in this instance, this isn't a BOINC project.

32 Vs 64 bit LLR is right as well I'm afraid. There is no noticeable speed gain (well not enough gain for someone to warrant making a 64 bit version) over a 32 bit app, even taking everything else into account. I do believe prime sieving does work on 64 bit with a speed increase but LLR certainly doesn't.

Though why I'd put my username as Anonymous I don't know. Anonymous crunches for many other projects (namely Maths ones) and I've seen him post this or something similar on the Riesel Sieve forums.

Though I'd want more explanation of what this project is actually about.
    Primes? But don't we have enough prime searching applications?

The first post was a copy paste of another post and so I corrected a few things like the username Anonymous. Sorry.

This is a non BOINC project, it's a classic one.

This project searches for Riesel primes of the form k *2 ^n - 1 with odd k and
    300 < k < 1001 and n > 260.000 not reserved by others with highly presieved ranges.

More info in here: http://www.rieselprime.org/nplb/NPLB_Home.htm
    Last edited by CarlosEduardo; 02-20-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosEduardo View Post
    This project searches for Riesel primes of the form k *2 ^n - 1 with odd k and
    300 < k < 1001 and n > 260.000 not reserved by others with highly presieved ranges.

More info in here: http://www.rieselprime.org/nplb/NPLB_Home.htm
    How's that different from what Riesel Sieve is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by drezha View Post
    How's that different from what Riesel Sieve is doing?
    Riesel Sieve is trying to prove the Riesel conjecture and NPLB not. Also the k's values are way smaller than used on RieselSieve. Basically you will find more primes at NPLB project.

Carlos

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Comparing the conjecture with the NPLB description here:
    http://www.rieselprime.org/nplb/NPLB_Home.htm
    reveals that the two number sets are mostly (but possibly not entirely) mutually-exclusive.

The essence is that a Riesel number is not the same as a Riesel Prime.
    A Reisel Prime is the result of the k & n derived calculation
    whereas
    A Reisel Number is the value of k (where k is an odd number) which produces a Reisel Prime when paired witha value n that is greater than or equal to 1 AND k.2n - 1 is composite to the value of n.

This may not be the clearest of explanations - or even correct - but I thought I'd give it a bash.

I think the right way to say it is:
    A Reisel Number is a special case that lends itself to the Riesel Conjecture, whereas there are many more products of the conjecture which are Reisel Primes.

So whilst the Reisel Conjecture effort seeks to verify Reisel Numbers against "a" prime, it may not reveal all primes for that value of k.

I am definitely on shaky ground there.
    It's so long since I concentrated hard on this topic.
    I'm probably explaining it quite wrong.
    Last edited by AMDave; 02-21-2008 at 11:28 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

No problems. You've at least made an effort to prove to me that Riesel Sieve and NPLB are different

And that's what matters.

I'll stick with RS for the minute though. RS has a definite end. When all 100 numbers are found, the project will be complete Which is nice to know as you'll finish something and can then focus on something else.

There will be a 24-hour NPLB LLRnet rally (port 100) this weekend beginning at 7 PM GMT Saturday 2/23.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast