Thread: DC Vault inclusion

DC Vault inclusion

Greetings

If you would be in support of Wieferich being added at DC Vault then please post your views HERE

I've posted our support for including Wieferich@Home in the DC-Vault.

Spose the teams that aren't running it yet will moan (like they did re Yoyo)

Following the project admins advice I have advised dc vault that Wieferich is up for it...but to wait until the final release of version 2 client.

So we should be good to go soon.

Math isn't my thing really but all the projects deserve equal opportunity and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by vaio View Post

Spose the teams that aren't running it yet will moan (like they did re Yoyo)
    No offence, but yoyo is nothing but a guy who wants to be high on the rankings of ogr with other peoples computing power. sounds a lot like that guy who made a trojan horse with boinc on his account and gained lots of credits that way.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I disagree somewhat on that point Frederic...

Sure that Yoyo is a boinc proxy for Dnet but I think the guy running it doesn't appear on the ranks. What I remember to have seen on the Dnet rankings is something like "Yoyo@Home boinc account" or something like that.

I actually like these kind of initiatives because I prefer boinc to non-boinc projects, it's way much easier to setup and run. For example, I don't know how to configure the Dnet app, and I would have to spend some time examining the options, but I can hook up to Yoyo and get it running in less than 30 seconds.

And there is no doubt that 90% of the non-boinc projects nowadays have very little participation (one exception is Folding@Home), so creating a boinc branch, even if unofficial like Yoyo (versus official ones like Riesel Sieve), still provides a great boost to the project because thousands of boinc crunchers will instantly hook up to it just for the stats.

In the end it is a good thing because it helps the project, so as long as the creator of the said boinc proxy doesn't use it in his personal name, it's fine by me.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 02-21-2008 at 12:07 AM.

I can't see Yoyo doing anything underhand simply because it would reflect so badly on his team (Rechenkraft).

Also, if anything underhand were to happen the DC Vault guys would immediately pull Yoyo from the stats.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Have to differ with you on that one, Frederic.

Yoyo managed to get an in-depth understanding of the "BOINC wrapper" and has so far located 2 opportunities to pull classic projects into the BOINC spectrum.

The implementation has been been beneficial for Distributed.net due to the expanded exposure.

Yoyo does not represent these points as his own but as a project. There is a clear enough distinction between the contributor Yoyo and the project Yoyo to satisfy thousands of people. You can see here that the project is represented as the "yoyo (at) home BOINC wrapper" team and not under the Rechencraft team. That's good enough for me.

Indeed, any points that you contribute to the AMD Users team on the Yoyo Project is passed on to our Team in the global BOINC stats. Whether you wish to further your standing as an individual in the Distributed.net stats or in the Yoyo stats and still be contributing to the Distributed.net projects is entirely up to you. Either way you can contribute to your own standings, to the team and to the project. That's a win-win-win scenario in my view.

However, and this must be noted, Yoyo made remarkable progress with the BOINC wrapper on the Evolution@Home client. Evolution@Home is a project that due to its hefty memory requirements, long running work units and manual intervention has struggled to sustain a significant level of output. Yoyo's work has prompted the project builders to consider a redesign of their client to facilitate the integration with BOINC. Bringing the Evolution work units into the BOINC environment is a terrific goal and must be highly commended.

Given the effort put into getting the yoyo project off the ground and the tremendous output it has achieved and the goals that they have sought out, I'd have no problems if Yoyo looked around for a pat on the back. He'd certainly get one from me.
    Last edited by AMDave; 02-21-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Back on topic -

I hope that the Weiferich(at)home project gets onto the DC Vault as soon as possible.

As a popular source of distributed computing statistical comparison, the DC Vault represents a point of exposure to a large audience of potential contributors.

Obtaining such an exposure makes a vast difference to the level of activity, output and therefore funding to a project.

For any new project in the DC arena, attaining representation on the DC Vault should be one of the goals of a fledgeling project, whether it be in the form of a BOINC or non-BOINC (classic) client.

Best wishes to Miroslav and Jan. Keep up the great work.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

After what appears to have taken Jan Dobes ages to get the appropriate stats XML files ready, Team Ninja have finally been able to include Wieferich@Home in the DC-Vault.

AMD Users are World #1 team but didn't score 10,000 points so I don't really understand the scoring system that the vault uses.

Be that as it may, it is a very easy project to run. It will be interesting to see what effect being "vaulted" has on this project. The Arsians have formed a team so I guess it won't take them long to hunt us down (as is their usual practice) - remember Pi Segment.

Still they never managed to crush my spirit in eOn where one of them once had the temerity to post that I couldn't or wouldn't maintain my momentum and that I would move on to another project sooner rather than later. Boy did he read me wrong - eOn is one of my favourite projects and is ALWAYS the first DC application I install on any new computer.