Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here still has CRT monitors?

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

Who here still has CRT monitors?

Yea... I was just wondering... I'm about to cross another year, and the beginning of a new decade, with all the advances in Plasma, LCD and the new LED technologies, and I still have, and use everyday, my old trustworthy 17'' Samsung CRT monitor that boasts a fabulous 1152x864 of resolution.

Am I the only one still working with this relic these days?

I think you are Neo. They have their uses in cold climates because of the heat they generate.
    But you are in Portugal!!!!!!
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Who here still has CRT monitors?

My Dear Boy - I never knew!

From an Energy standpoint NeoGen is slighter lower then most of us, The CRT screens always consume less energy then the LCD with the back lit screen, the Plasma is a no brainer as it truly is an electron gulper. But the new LED screens are the most energy restrictive screens in history. They can display brilliant colors and amazing contrast with the least amount of energy needed.
    So NeoGen if you are thinking about upgrading go LED rather then the cheaper LCD or expensive Plasma, you will be much happier!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

NeoGen yes you are.

I retired my 17" Magnavision CRT to my garage at least 5 years ago.

Site Admin
    I was waiting for it to break down before getting a new one, but these old CRT monitors are not like nowadays appliances, they're made to last.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I still have a high-res Phillips 15" CRT to hook up to my servers for console work - but it stays disconnected most of the year. The workstations both have wide-screen LCDs with high refresh rates and we have been really happy with them.

Sometimes it is fun to go back and play an arcade game on the old CRT just for the authentic feel, the phosphorous persistence and the "plink" sound when you shoo away an annoying insect from the glow of the screen with the flick of a finger ;)

If you are happy with your CRT and it is still working fine, hang on to it.

But, Yes. You may be the last of an era.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

You aren't alone Neo. I use a 19" CRT for my daily computer consume. This crt can get a res of 2048x1536@60Hz. But I'm using only 1600x1200@75Hz. All below 75Hz is not good for my eyes. Two month ago my TFT said goodbye ( me thinks its only the backlight) and a friend of mine wanted to get rid of this crt.

Until a three weeks ago i had another crt in use. 17" with 1600x1200. but it looks like this one also said goodbye. He's allowed to. Had to work under 30°C with 100% humditiy.
    Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Apache inside. http://debian.org

yeah, I gave up my CRT's some years back as they were hard on my eyes. Don't even have an old one out in the garage even.

I only have one LCD, and I do not use it as it is way too small, and not stable in its colours either. So the main force here at home relies on ye olde 17" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410s, 3 of them on active duty. As I am a real hardware junk that never throws something away when it still functions -space provided-, I believe I have at least some 10 CRTs around here, including an old 12" IBM black-and-white in my PS/2 collection. Gets real hot in my room sometimes, but that might just be the sun, as the room looks to the south.....Not all 20 odd PCs are working at the same time, and about halve of them predate the Pentium II/III era.

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Not all 20 odd PCs are working at the same time, and about halve of them predate the Pentium II/III era.
    Wow... now that's a collection of good old machines!

I'm still now running a CRT monitor, a 17'' Compaq CV735, and it runs perfectly well at 1152x864. I'm not planning on getting an LCD (or LED or some other future technology monitor) until this one breaks down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast