Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all our American cousins.

Calling all our American cousins.

Not really computing but Mr. & Mrs. Sou’westerly are hoping to fly to New York this August. Mrs. S. naturally wants to take in the sights and shops of New York and Washington but what to do then? Beaches and theme parks are not really her scene but history and beautiful country is. We thought that we might look around Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina as Mrs. S says that they have nice sounding names. Sounds a strange way to pick a holiday I know, but she always comes up trumps. Any suggestions of where to go or what to do would be gratefully received. Dave.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    So I am not from the US & I have not been there myself, but I have read that Crabtree Falls (west of Richmond) is a lovely location for a daytrip as well as a nice area to spend a few relaxing days in the country. It has featured in several *old* novels that I have read and is these days rated as being a worthwhile 2 mile walk from the nearest paved road. (which should be easier than - or a precursor to - some of the mountain walks in the area, I am advised). I was surprised that it was not listed in the top 51 things to do in Virginia - then I noticed that list was "for kids to do" - all theme parks these days - no imagination.

Obviously I don't know what the water-flows are like at this time of year. It seems that now is a midway point, peaking at the wettest time of year in July. Around now should be a good time then, with plenty of water flowing through the rain forest but not so much to wash you out of the valley ;-0 (But I can guarantee that you will do better there than most waterfalls in Australia at the moment LOL) Being a lovely old rural area steeped in history, there are many modern and rustic accommodation places in the area. (A quick web search showed that). Well, that covers an inland area from a non-American who has never been there but would like to eventually. There's probably a million places to go, but that one stuck in my mind.

* - I put "old" in bold because the novels were circa late-19thC. But the place is still listed as a rural attraction.

/ed- reading further the first falls seen by the tourist are about 70 feet although there may be walks to the others. In total the drop is 1200 feet in several steps. ... and there are even tours etc. -ed/
    Last edited by AMDave; 03-13-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: apparently I can't spell
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Try going to the eastern section of Tenesse just past the border with No. Carolina, take flight to Chatanooga then up to the mountains, there a few lovely villages, with Swiss influence and a very strong Alps feel and tradition, you and the Mr's will just fall in love with the area!

Rafael

Thanks Dave, that's just the sort of place we are looking for, I've got their site bookmarked. The trouble is that the State tourism sites just seem to list every town and hamlet with no idea of what is good and what has just been listed so as to not upset the locals. Jamestown looks like a must, am I right? any other suggestions? Dave
    Now there's a thought Rafael. Tennessee I'll have a look at that, As a Brit can I still just turn up at an airport and catch a flight, a bit like catching a train in the UK, or is it all booked flights only now with the current security levels. Dave

Well if your talking Virginia, and American history, then colonial Williamsburg is your place to go.

http://www.history.org/

Don't forget days and days worth of stuff in the MANY Smithsonian buildings ...

The National Zoo is also a good place to go.
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnk

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    Well if your talking Virginia, and American history, then colonial Williamsburg is your place to go.

http://www.history.org/
    Thanks for the link Dave it is better than the site I was on for Jamestown. Meshmar, have you any suggestions for which of the Smithsonian Buildings to head for. We thought the Gustav Heye Center in New York then in Washington the American Art and Portrait galleries (When not teaching Mrs. S is an artist), is that a good choice? Unfortunately we won't be able to go around everything in Washington otherwise we will never make it South from there! Dave

Yup, Jamestown is right up the road from williamsburg also.

Meshmar was referring to the smithsonian Museums in D.C. some of the largest in the world. My favorites are the Air and Space, and the Natural History museums (Dinosaurs !!) If you've never been, they are a must see.

http://www.si.edu/museums/

Yeah Air & Space is OK but not as good as NASA Space Center in Orlando. Natural History is great - some amazing displays there to see. Also, while at the Smithsonian check out the Hope Diamond and the other gems. Mrs S will really enjoy some of those jewels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sou'westerly View Post
    ... then in Washington the American Art and Portrait galleries (When not teaching Mrs. S is an artist), is that a good choice? Unfortunately we won't be able to go around everything in Washington otherwise we will never make it South from there! Dave
    Actually, both of those are Smithsonian Museums .
    Fabricati Diem, Pvnk

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast