Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pennine Way Charity Trek 2008

Pennine Way Charity Trek 2008

Myself and a house mate are planning to walk the Pennine way for charity this summer.

The Pennine Way is second longest trail in England. The trail runs 429 kilometres (268 mi) from Edale, in the northern Derbyshire Peak District, north through the Yorkshire Dales and the Northumberland National Park, to end at Kirk Yetholm, just inside the Scottish border.

We're aiming to walk the entire length in about 2 weeks, starting on May 26th.

We're getting sponsored to do it for the British Heart Foundation as a healthy lifestyle is a good thing to prevent heart disease. If you want to sponsor us for the trip, we have a just giving site here.

http://www.justgiving.com/bhfpennineway

Your donations are greatly appreciated.

For those on facebook, we have a group you can join to keep up with what we're doing.
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8676054&ref=mf

Nice one! I'll sponsor you a little nearer pay day.

I walked the Inca Trail for charity in October of 2005; extremely rewarding way of donating £2000 to charity.

Wow, looks like a nice walk! Little out of our price range to get there mind! We're both final year students so we wanted somewhere cheap to get to and start :chuckle:

Yeah it was a pretty awesome experience.

As for treking here - most I've done is Broadway to Chipping Camden. My grandparents used to walk a LOT in their early 60's, 2 Roses, Pennines, Coast to Coast etc... I think the only one they didn't do was John O'Groats to Lands End.

Are you going to B&B it? Or camp? I can recommend Field & Trek as a good store for getting gear. They hooked me up with boots, walking pole, water proofs, thermals etc... and they give you discount if you buy a fair amount http://www.fieldandtrek.com/default.asp?src=ukwm

Cool cheers.

I got a lot of stuff as I used to do a lot of similar stuff in cadets but it's all military gear and isn't great stuff so I was going to get some decent stuff. Cheers for the links. Requested a catalogue to browse.

Done a few walks but never one this long.

If you buy new boots, MAKE SURE YOU WEAR THEM IN! I have some really good German made ones - I forget the name now, begins with M... £130 but they're the bomb! Good set of lining socks and some thick walking socks and you'll be set.

Edit - these are they: http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product....urer_id=Meindl

Not sure why it says they're new as I've had mine since about March '05

Yeah wasn't sure whether or not to buy new boots. I have a decent set of of combat boots that I was going to wear but I think some decent walking boots would be much better. And you get what you pay for I guess and the boots are the most important bit of kit really.

Gonna get some cheapo socks as lining socks and throw them away as I get to camp sites. Least that's been recommended by a walker who's already done it.

I would suggest lining socks tbh, as they're ultra thin and are only really there to stop the normal walking socks from getting sweaty. Normal socks aren't breathable enough, and will make your feet sweat more, causing all sorts of issues (fungus loves it when it's warm)

I like Vasque boots. I have a worn out old 'Balance' pair I use for around the house and werk. And a new pair of 'Breeze' that I use for trekking...

But it all comes down to what fits your feet. Different brands have different fit..(or feel).
    Last edited by Bender10; 04-16-2008 at 06:08 PM.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

I'm off into town and surrounding areas to get my feet properly measured and sorted out (I'm a size 11 but I hear that boots should be bought 1 larger - Even then my combat boots are size 11 and they get on fine with me)

I'll pickup some lining socks then as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast