Thread: How to join WhatPulse

What is WhatPulse ? How do i join ?

What is WhatPulse?

The purpose of WhatPulse is simply to collect statistics about your computer behavior. Some people (Like me) use it to determine how long they've worked on something, like a programming project, a school essay, chatting by all means.

How does it work?

WhatPulse opens a so-called "keyhook" when it's booted, which listens to incoming Windows messages about the keyboard, the keyhook sends these messages to the program itself, and the program first determines if the key pressed is a proper key (Every standard keyboards' keys are counted) and then simply does PreviousKeyCount + 1.

Pulsing: When you "pulse", you're actually sending your keycounts in the program to the server along with other information about your Account, so the server can decide where to put the keycount. If the pulse goes according to plan, the server sends back an "OK", and the client's keycount is reset to 0 (zero), and your previous keys are added to your profile in the server database!

And for all you people who are thinking "oh mi god a keylogger, no way!", well, exactly, No way. WhatPulse is not and never will be any sort of keylogger, it does not collect the keys you type, but only how many keys you type. (see WhatPulse's Privacy Policy)

What is WhatPulse's URL?

http://whatpulse.org/

Where do i sign up for an account?

http://whatpulse.org/register/

Where do i download WhatPulse from?

http://whatpulse.org/downloads/

Can i run WhatPulse on more then one computer?

Yes, but Whatpulse accounts are to be used by only one person. This can be on multiple computers, but only the original account owner would be allowed to use the computers while WhatPulse is running. If other people use the computer, WhatPulse needs to be shut down before they can start using it.
    If you comply with above then you will have to create additional profiles for each computer by logging into your account and going to your pulse profiles and then add additional profiles as required, if you try to run profile on more then one computer you will break token on second computer and any keystrokes and or clicks done will be lost when you request a new token

How do i get WhatPulse to pulse?

you can double click WhatPulse icon in task bar or right click WhatPulse icon and select program settings and get whatpulse to pulse every X hours or X keystrokes or X amount of clicks under section called "pulse every" (right hand bottom)
    Last edited by Danish Dynamite; 04-22-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Edited title

Most of us pulsed for a long time back in 2006 and 2007 (myself included)... so we've been there and done that

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    nothing stopping you from doing it again
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I was supposed to stop?? I missed that memo.....
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

The project got riddled with people using keyhook VB script apps emulating key presses so our efforts (or mine at least) were frugal. Towards the end of my time on the project I was having all sorts of app errors, partly to do with l33tsig I think...
    Last edited by spikey_richie; 04-22-2008 at 05:43 PM.

I understand...I could never figure out how some of these people could rack up 3 bazillion clicks a day (well maybe not 3 bazillion...), but you know what I mean.

I don't even know what my total is. Execpt for the race we had a while back, I don't look at this project. But, I still have a profile for a few of the boxes I use all the time..
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

While I'm away from home for the week, looking at the key count tells me how long my kids have been playing online games, lol.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it