Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the Road Again

My focus here is more then last Vaughan, I really hate being last!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

We're not last by a long way, there are 157 teams with a score.
    But we dropped seven places this month in this project,
    and our highest position -16th- was in September of this year,
    so it is a bit of a volatile project so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Some extra Ghz/Cores will all change these predictions of course...
    And they -extra Ghz/Cores- went to the UK BOINC Team, who jumped five places and is now ahead of us.
    Team Norway has taken the bus and is also ahead of us now, yet we're back at a 32nd place as there apear some discrepancies between BOINCStats (today) and FreeDC (yesterday). Crystal Dream is still close behind us, but we've overtaken Alien City.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-30-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: team Norway has taken the bus//we've overtaken Alien City

I took myself offline during the height of #Sandy. The storm has passed over night, and I plugged the system back in and cranked up the hamster treadmill for juice to keep the system up and operational. To bad I am soon out of food for the Hamsters. Oh Well I have discovered when I pull out the whip and lash those critters they keep the juices flowing without fail.

None the less, most of my trees are bare of leaves, a few branches left their nested locations on the trunk of my trees with none causing any severe damage that I can see at this time. There is a freight train line ~ 1 mile north of my location that I hear daily and all night long. Last night I swear they moved the railroad to within inches of my window glass. Wave after wave of horrendous wind sounds emanated into my bedroom, which of course made for such noise that I did not sleep much. Today the railroad line has returned to where it was before last evenings misunderstanding between Mother Nature and who ever she was on a date with. I wish she would select a better choice of men in her life. I like my nature less noisy!

Daylight has brought out the neighbors from their hiding spaces. Lots of faces of complete despair as the roadway is not even visible, leaves cover the entire roadway. Across the street from my house is a silver maple tree which lost one of its branches and it is lodged in the neighbors garage roof. Yes it came down with the pointed end first, the first thing the homeowner did was to back his two perfectly kept cars out into the weather that is still occurring. Now his cars are all full of leaves and other debris, they were fine in the garage, I would have left them their!

I have a web address from my local EMA dispatch center, near 4 AM this morning the calls were being displayed about every 3 minutes. It must have been too much as the system is now down and the web site is stagnant, still stating 4 AM's dispatches. Our local newspaper follows up with some goodies on twitter and through a subscription news feed that over 360 dispatches for trees down, and trees on wires were made in an 8 hour period of time. My Old haunt of a fire station had 15 fireman and 4 ambulance personnel ready and on call for 24 hours of pure dedication. This morning they decided to post their findings on the situation and spoke of the turmoil they endured overnight. Most inhabitants stayed home, not venturing out on the highways with curious intervention not in their favor. But the tree lined landscapes of the neighborhoods did not fair as well. Their crew had over 35 calls for help with trees on homes, cars, and several trees closing off all access to the community.

I survived #Sandy of 2012

Glad you and your computers held out. Pity on your hamsters though.
    Should hang the food above the threadmill so they can't reach it no matter how fast they run.
    Feed them when they're exhausted, they will grow up as real athletes.

Nice project that produces maps of the solar system:
    "theSkyNet POGS is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in astronomy. We will combine the spectral coverage of GALEX, Pan-STARRS1, and WISE to generate a multi-wavelength UV-optical-NIR galaxy atlas for the nearby Universe. We will measure physical parameters (such as stellar mass surface density, star formation rate surface density, attenuation, and first-order star formation history) on a resolved pixel-by-pixel basis using spectral energy distribution (SED) fitting techniques in a distributed computing mode. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer."

As I discovered to be able to do 10k a day here, I will return as soon as I finished my baker's dozen.
    Seems they might have badges in the future too! And I am a real badge fetishist -leftover from my boyscout days.

Sadly we have a family relative that was one of the ones that had a house in the section of 50+ homes burned down. An elderly gal. Now it remains to be seen what will happen with the insurance companies.... Of course that doesn't take care of all the little things accumulated in life that money can't replace. And there are going to turn out to be a lot of folks that have lost everything in this storm. Consider yourself a very fortunate soul Nflight! I'm glad you came through this in good stead. :-) Meanwhile my heart goes out to all those that have had their lives rocked to it's core and lost everything and have to rebuild a new life.

I have a first cousin who lives 1/2 mile from the ocean 25 miles north of the Atlantic City NJ. Her family is fine, the house is fine because her husband is carpenter and placed the house higher then the landscape. He also placed hurricane proofing on the home some 20 years ago, and this storm proved that the investment was worth every dime spent. (NO harm came to those fictitious Hamsters I mentioned in the previous post)

I placed an order for some product today and found a response on the email confirming my order stating that there is 4 feet of sand in the parking lot of their facility and around the neighborhood. It seems they are struggling with removing the sand. The local Economic Development group placed white sand on the beaches, and now it is on the streets. Removal of the sand will cost plenty and lets hope they put it back where the ocean found it. The company is located in Middlesex NJ, it might be some time till we get that product...

More news from my work place. On Friday we were all stunned by the news in Conn with the gunmen in an elementary school. I brushed this off and went to work as a school bus driver in the afternoon. Low and behold not one mile from the school a student sitting behind me stabbed the student sitting beside him. I had to make a retreat to the school to return the attacker and the victim. Seeing the expression on the attackees face is flashing through my mind about 60 times a day right now. They both ride the bus and it is morning, I suppose they will both be on this morning. I will get more news later as I have to drop of my personal writeup of the actual mishap with my boss.

You read the news & I lived it !!!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I always heard every older generation saying that the younger generation is worse than before... but it feels like in the history of many generations in several decades past this has to be THE WORST, most self-destructive generation we've seen to date.

I am happy you are are safe and sound Nflight, although the shock will take some time to heal.

Where are the parents of these ticking time-bombs???

p.s. - Yea, I don't have kids...
    Last edited by NeoGen; 12-19-2012 at 05:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast