Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD announces 6- and 12-core Opterons

I'm not rushing out to purchase any new stuff either. Reality is that many people's discretionary income has now become un-discretionary, and is now required to purchase food/gas. Can't eat computers or use them to fill your gas tank. And to boot, they don't have a resale value of squat. The devaluing US dollar is seriously impacting a lot of people's lifestyle. And the unfortunate thing is that it doesn't look like that situation is going to reverse itself any time soon, if in fact it ever does.

Those 10 or 12 core systems would really be nice, but you can bet that they aren't going to be cheap. And with the general economic picture, it isn't like there is going to be the volume of purchasers for the new chips like there has been in the past. It isn't just the households that are having a rough time making it through the month... the business world is also being hit. So the old days when the mfrs used to incrementally bring out chip after chip slowly nudging up the speed are a changing. The bucks just aren't there to support that market model like it was in the past.

So all in all, I'm just not holding my breath on any super big breakthrough with AMD, or really, even Intel for that matter. I think things all over the place are more inclined to a holding pattern for the near term future anyway. People buy the q6600's cause it is a very solid chip, and it works. The motherboard market for the new AMD stuff isn't rushing a ton of product out to market either. The amd quad chip flaws have impacted many people's decision in purchasing new AMD chips. AMD also isn't unloading the X2's and all very well now either. By the time you put a system together, it is really hard to beat the q6600 for the price AND reliability of the motherboards/chip. This economic downturn isn't helping AMD out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ototero View Post
    Absolutely zero Intels in my farm
    I don't have any zero Intels on my Farm either, but I do have lot's of Quad Intels ... ... ... ... ...
    Last edited by PoorBoy; 05-09-2008 at 10:19 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I've been borging a few Intels every now and then.
    But my main machines at home and work are still AMD's!

AMD announces 6- and 12-core Opterons

AMD just made a large announcement:
    http://www.dailytech.com/AMD+Offers+...c.htm#comments

Sounds like that funding that came in from overseas really made a difference, at least in the announcement scheduling, lets just hope the can make all these dates. And people will have cash to purchase them in the future!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Wow, that's a lot of codenames

Yukon, Bobcat, Brazos, Ontario, Sabine, Llano, Tigris, Caspian, Danube, Dragon, Deneb, Pisces, Shanghai, Instanbul, Maranello, Magny-Cours, and Sao Paolo.

I mean seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by S. Starbuck View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of codenames

Yukon, Bobcat, Brazos, Ontario, Sabine, Llano, Tigris, Caspian, Danube, Dragon, Deneb, Pisces, Shanghai, Instanbul, Maranello, Magny-Cours, and Sao Paolo.

I mean seriously...
    yeah.... getting a bit ridiculous. Meanwhile DDR3.... so no upgrade paths on anything either. And they aren't ever settling on anything. Everything appears to be an interim step to something else. I'm certainly not holding my breath for anything AMD nowdays.

edit: And I wonder how they intend to get motherboard manufacturers to pay much attention to all these chips when they (assuming they ever materialize) change things so fast that a motherboard manufacturer wouldn't ever have a production run long enough to recoup development costs. Once upon a time keeping prices down was a goal of AMD's that was largely responsible for them getting market share from Intel. Looks like this isn't the same AMD anymore.
    Last edited by Brucifer; 11-17-2008 at 07:11 PM.

YEAH to Ototero !! Finally another DEDICATED AMD User, Woo Hoo!

This is true, there are no intels in my house.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    YEAH to Ototero !! Finally another DEDICATED AMD User, Woo Hoo!

Once upon a time I was a dedicated one. But thanks to AMD, I'm not anymore, unfortunately. Maybe we need a new team, like the "Historic AMD_Users Team" or the "Wannabe AMD_Users Team."

Sometimes I even feel bad about it, but then I look at the output of the systems and I don't feel so bad anymore....

How about AMDBashers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast