Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD announces 6- and 12-core Opterons

AMD announces 6- and 12-core Opterons

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/08/a...core-opterons/

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37323/135/

Sounds good to me!!!

"AMD may be busy sorting out issues with its quad-core Phenoms and hard at work on "completely different" chip architectures, but that isn't stopping the company from aggressively updating its roadmap, announcing today plans for 6- and 12-core server-grade Opterons. Both the new 6-core chip, codenamed Sao Paulo, and the 12-core unit, codenamed Magny-Cours, are based on a brand-new platform called "Maranello," and slotting in to replace the planned 8-core Barcelona chip, which appears to have been canceled. According to AMD, 12-core chips are easier to manufacture, so it's going to skip over 8-core chips and go straight to the good stuff. That must be news to Intel, which is planning on shipping 8-core Nehalem chips later this year, and will probably then hold the coveted "number-of-cores" crown until AMD releases the 12-core chips in 2010. There's no word on whether any of these chips can make these processor roadmaps comprehensible or even chronological, but we can dream, can't we?"
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

I'll take 10... and a re-mortgage on the new house to pay for it!

Sigh.... I just wish AMD would actually get something out on the street for once rather than just keep announcing stuff. All these vapor chips takes me back several years to the time of all the vaporware that was announced and never materialized.

I love amd, but their rival is going to sell one heck of a lot of quads between now and 2010. Last fall they were talking great guns about getting some new stuff out in Q1... Just glad that I haven't been holding my breath. Maybe if amd had a decent error-free quad out on the street that was somewhere around the q6600 in performance, I might feel better.

Anyone noticed how many intel quads have snuck into the AMD_Users team?????
    Last edited by Brucifer; 05-08-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    Anyone noticed how many intel quads have snuck into the AMD_Users team?????
    One third of my pharm.

I'm guilty of that too.

i am not guilty and from comments form some of you lot ie what am i feeding my cpu's by the comment alone you have suggested that phenom 9600 preforms rather well, i am quite happy with it even though i am on my 3rd mobo now

I would love to grab one of those 9850's except that is more than my monthly car payment... finding it hard to justify right now
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

Yup, AMD is great on producing announcements. I guess that is their main product. They need to shift the marketing group over to the production group so that they can ramp up their output. Pretty much these days, I read but don't believe anything from AMD until they show me a real product.
    Last edited by mitchellds; 05-09-2008 at 01:12 PM.

Our local economy, while better than many, if not most, has still been slow. Since the fall of last year I have had to reduce the $$ invested for retirement (we call it a 401k plan - after the tax code that allows for it) and I have been slowly drawing from savings to pay the bills. Until the take-home pay is such that my savings is healthy again, and I can bump my retirement investment rate back up to max, I'll not be doing any more investing in chips or new systems.

Absolutely zero Intels in my farm
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast