Thread: BOINC Scheduling

BOINC Scheduling

Is it possible to specifiy one project to use one core 100% or the time and another project the other 3 cores on a machine?

Want to run Riesel Sieve and Rosetta but want Rosetta to use 1 core 100% and RS to use the rest. At the minute, it seems Rosetta will run 1 hour, RS will run for 3 on all cores. Which isn't exactly what I want.

I don't think you can that way, but you could set your resource share for the projects on each site at say 25 for Rosetta and 75 for RS. that should give you the effect your after.

Thats what I've got at the minute and it's doing the 4 on a project, then 4 on another. It's not the way I want it. I want a slightly more regular updates to a project.

Only way I can think of is to install BOINC twice and set one to only use 3 cores and the other only use 1.

I don't think that'll work either, although I haven't tried.

Why not?

Install to two different directories and I reckon it would work. Cant be bothered though really.

TBH BOINC should be clever enough to work out 3:1 is equal to one CPU 100% and the others at 300% on one.

It sounds like a short term debt problem, i.e. one project accumulates too much debt so the other project gets all 4 core for a while, then they reverse situations. You can try the following under 5.10.xx and lower:

• Set both projects to No New Task and let them crunch everything in their cache.
    • Using Advanced View on BOINC Manager, click Advanced and choose Preferences. On the Processor Usage tab, change number of processor to 1.
    • Set Rosetta to Allow New Tasks, let it download and start a task.
    • Set RS to Allow New Task, let it download a few tasks.
    • Back to Advanced, Preferences, Processor Usage, and change number of processors to 4.
    This should keep the Short Term Debt of the two projects close together and allow the 75% / 25% split you want.

Also, you may want to change the Switch between Applications every xx minutes to something higher than 60. Try 180 or 240, as that might have some impact as well.
    Last edited by BobCat13; 05-24-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: list format added

these an app you can get call boincDv from here will sort debt issues ie set to zero