Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS3Grid GPU?

I am running Linux64 on my AMD 9550. 1 cpu is on the GPU. And 3 cpu's are running Milkyway...everything on 1 install of Boinc 6.3.8.

Seems to be working, is that your question? I have been doing manual wu updates for ps3grid wu's. I will let it run on it's own and see what happens.
    Last edited by Bender10; 08-14-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

With my 8800GS and the 9550, I finish a wu in ~17.5 hours (63,000 seconds in project terms...)

Cool

are you able to run 4 cpu +1 GPU ? or does that overly stress the pc to the point where it doesn't function? I guess I want to know if the GPU boinc process still takes a part of your regular cpu resources away from use, and you can only really run 3 cpu and 1 gpu under boinc.

In the days I ran folding with a GPU on my ATI card plus boinc on the same client, I still had to reserve regular cpu for the GPU client. It didnt exclusively run the folding client on only the GPU, it still needed cpu. Kinda similar in idea, even though I know I'm talking about the folding + boinc client running in tandem on the same pc for this argument.

I would like to really know if I could buy the necessary GPU cards for all of my linux pc's and continue to run my stand 4 cpu boinc threads as well as a gpu process for ps3grid, or would I only be able to do what your describing, the 3 cpu + 1 gpu approach.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    I guess I want to know if the GPU boinc process still takes a part of your regular cpu resources away from use, and you can only really run 3 cpu and 1 gpu under boinc.
    Yes. From what I understand, the GPU needs 1 cpu (core) to process wu's.

But, I am able to run the other 3 cores on other Boinc projects using the same client (6.3.8).
    Last edited by Bender10; 08-14-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Well, I kept my 'cotton pickers' away from the GPU cruncher for a whole 24+ hours. It seems to be werking fine without me .

Which is a good thing. It seemed like every time I tried to adjust things (GPU memory or core clock speed), the GPU would burp, and corrupt the wu's.

That being said. Some of the initial GPU problems were due to factory induced GPU memory and core 'overclocking'. So, buy the card you like (or can afford) as long as it is an Nvidia 8800 or better (with 96+ stream processors). And check the web. You should be able to find out if it has been 'factory overclocked'. Setting the timings back to 'normal' (sometimes only ~10% reduction) SHOULD eliminate 'corrupt' wu's.

To view the 'Never ending Story...'

http://www.gpugrid.net/

And check out the Forum.

This is my setup. Does 1 wu in 17.5 hours.

Evga 8800GS
    AMD 9550
    Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H mb, with 4 gig ram
    Ubuntu 8.04
    Boinc 6.3.5
    Nvidia 173.14 drivers
    Last edited by Bender10; 08-15-2008 at 11:28 AM.

Is there some "killer" GPU that this is all supposed to be for out the the nvida line? Who is doing the coding for this? Is the coding for this at the same complexity level as for the ps3?

The PS3Grid site is the place to look.

Still BETA now. They are still werking out glicthes in the Nvidia drivers.

They (ps3grid) are working with Nvidia on the drivers for the GPU. Nvidia seems to be rewriting their drivers to to aid in controlling the GPU's for ps3grid 'crunching'.

The folks at ps3grid want everyone to buy the meanest and fastest GPU's to aid in running the biggest wu possible in less than 24 hours (I think they are trying to limit the 'crunch window' to just under 24 hours). Their atitude is: "And please don't use anything with less than 100 stream processors.....(even though slower cards will still 'crunch'...)."

There is plenty of discussion like: 'Whats wrong with slower cards (GPU's)?' And how 'Excluding slower cards (GPU's) will keep owners with existing cards from participating...', And 'Why do the wu's have to be so big?' Which is another issue covering slower GPU's.

The card I have is most likely the bottom end of the usable cards (96 stream processors and will complete a wu <24 hours).

Hey, I don't own the project, But I think it's good science. If people don't like the rulez......I just play within my own boundries. I guess what this means is, I 'll run this project until it gets...too weird, expensive or whatever.
    Last edited by Bender10; 08-15-2008 at 09:58 PM.

I went to the ps3grid site and didn't see anything regarding specific cards which is why I was asking. I'm rather ignorant regarding gpu's. To me the whole thing here is that if ps3grid is working on a client, then it should be realistic to expect that other projects should be following suit at some point, whether for boinc or non-boinc efforts.

And that gets into the issues regarding power consumption and cooling... Like if they are requiring a cpu for feeding the gpu and general housecleaning functions, then at what point do you just go after a small VIA cpu, and stuff in a huge gpu for crunching. Seems like it's a it of overkill to be using one of the latest AMD/Intel CPU's to run a GPU.

And if some of the older nvida cards can still crunch, and the code writing toolkit is available, it would seem that there are multiple projects that could benefit. Of course then are the nvida cards single or double precision?

There are only a few people providing their GPU output information in the forum (me too). I think someone asked 'What should I use?' And I didn't see any replies.

About the 'Using a core' to support (or feed?) a GPU, I think thats the way Folding@Home has always worked (Hey, FAH people, throw me a rope here...). I don't know for sure. I figure all the cores on my Quad are crunching wu's, and go with the flow.

The power and cooling thing are an issue with me. That's why is went with the 9550 (95 w). With 1 GPU running, and crunching other projects on the other 3 cores, It uses less power than 2 of my X2 boxes (which I have shutdown).

EDIT: If you look on the board you will see some GPU output times per wu. These are still a little flacky to me, I think because there driver is still under development. Or something like that. And I'm not sure if they are playing around with tweaking the wu's a bit also.
    Last edited by Bender10; 08-16-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Well, My GPU has been down for a while due to an out of date driver. I've been REAL busy at werk. Long days and very little sleep.

I just put it back to GPU 'Crunching' last night. I had to update the Nvidia drivers (to 177.13) to get it to work properly. But it is now 'Crunching ' at full speed (I had to 'under clock' it with the first drivers they had out). But it looks like they have increased the size of the wu's to make up for that.

There are Windows and Linux64 apps ready. So everyone can play now. There is better information on the site about which GPU's run the best (96 or more stream processors).

http://www.ps3grid.net/forum_thread.php?id=315

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast