Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PS3Grid GPU?

Hi Bender

I see that your amd linux box is not yet returning so great a daily credit after 43 tasks(566). Nowhere near the avg for the ps3 (3.9k). Are others fairing better on the linux front yet ? I take it linux wu's run about a day to complete?

Yeah, not so great an average. But that number may include the failed wu's also (actually 8 complete out of 43)?...

My card (GPU) completes wu's in around 17 to 20 hours. The current (beta) wu's seem to take ~20 hours on my 8800GS.
    Last edited by Bender10; 08-28-2008 at 08:36 PM.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

Looking at all the data. The card to use (best bang for the buck), is a 8800GT w/512 ram. This should do a wu in around 14 hours, using 1 core of your X2 or X4 cpu (leaving the other core(s) available for Boinc projects....

I figured this out last night, and found a post today confirming my choice. Gotta logon to newegg next...

As this is still Beta. The points are set at a flat 1,987.41 per wu.

Links for Boinc and drivers are on the PS3grid site.

Windows requirements:

BOINC 6.3.10 or better
    Nvidia CUDA 177.84 or above
    Windows 98SE or above
    Windows 64 bit
    Last edited by Bender10; 08-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.

The 8800GTs do really well in Folding @ Home too. Problem is they are out of stock in the retail channel over here. You can substitute a 9800GT but they charge about $20-30 more for these cards.

I use a Zalman GPU cooler on the 8800GTs and it drops the GPU temp about 20°C

I should have another GPU running this week....I'll have to look at those coolers.

They have fixed the point problem. Each GPU wu now gets similar credit that a PS3 box earns (around 3,200 pts per wu).

I just fired up a new 8800GT on winX64. The speed is what I expected (about 16 hours). Linux seems to run better. Plus, they (ps3grid) are still playing with the wu's and the drivers. The wu should finish on Sunday.

I have to switch this GPU to a Linux box, as soon as I can convert a Win machine over...

Finished my 1st WinX64 wu in 15 hours. that's about right for the card I have (see above). Linux64 should run a bit faster maybe.

My new Windows GPU install seems (crossed fingers) to be running well. The setup and management is easier than Linux (noob speaking) naturally.

So, now that I have left the city for a few days, all the smoke will leak out of that confuser....

Quote Originally Posted by Bender10 View Post
    My new Windows GPU install seems (crossed fingers) to be running well. The setup and management is easier than Linux (noob speaking) naturally.

So, now that I have left the city for a few days, all the smoke will leak out of that confuser....
    What were you thinking, smoke leaving analogy interjecting here - So we are noobs here and never return to a windows platform is my direction in the future. If that were only possible. All my systems will not support an 8800 so I must upgrade once again

Still working on those mystery machines

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast