Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start?

Start?

When will they start up the project for real?

I know it´s sometime this year..

Have any of you been following the concerns that some scientists have about this project causing mini black holes and strangelings?

Keith

Creating mini black holes? That will suck.

Or, more correctly; They will suck.

I guess some physicists say they won't be a problem based on Hawking Radiation causing them to only last milliseconds but even Hawking says that Hawking Radiation is just an idea and not proven.

The physicists say that if they are wrong any small black holes that are created would be so small that they would rarely even suck in protons or electrons and would move freely between them most of the time. They would be sling shotted out of the accelerator and up into space then before leaving the Earth's gravitational field would fall back down and through the earth to the other side and do that repeatedly. No one knows for sure how long it would take but the best guesses are that after about 5 years of doing that they would have sucked in enough matter that they or it would settle down in the core of the earth and start growing very rapidly then in a few days after that exponentially grow and suck in the planet.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith75 View Post
    I guess some physicists say they won't be a problem based on Hawking Radiation causing them to only last milliseconds but even Hawking says that Hawking Radiation is just an idea and not proven.

The physicists say that if they are wrong any small black holes that are created would be so small that they would rarely even suck in protons or electrons and would move freely between them most of the time. They would be sling shotted out of the accelerator and up into space then before leaving the Earth's gravitational field would fall back down and through the earth to the other side and do that repeatedly. No one knows for sure how long it would take but the best guesses are that after about 5 years of doing that they would have sucked in enough matter that they or it would settle down in the core of the earth and start growing very rapidly then in a few days after that exponentially grow and suck in the planet.

Keith
    what the...?

I'd tend to think that mass is what keeps a black hole viable. Without enough mass it cannot generate enough gravitational pull to sustain itself. That's my theory and I'll stick to it until one of those man-made black holes takes me beyond the 4th dimention.

Well, you'd have to assume that if a black hole were to be created, it would have to continuously effect localized atomic and subatomic structures with a force of gravity greater than the atomic strong force that binds such localized structures together in order to sustain its self and grow. That is a lot of energy for such a small structure. I tend to think that Mr. Hawking is correct, that such a structure would be incredibly temporary, would dissipate in a very short period of time and would quickly lose its energy into the nearby environment. More likely they need to concern themselves with and prepare for the strength of that localized release.

Then again, some thought that a nuclear explosion would ignite the atmosphere and consume all of our planet's air. The thing with alarmists is that though they may be wrong a hundred times - eventually they will be right, and boy they will surely be happy and feel good when they get to say; "I told you so!".

And with things that could wipe out the planet you would hope that they wouldn't do it just because the odds of wiping out the planet were small. I can see a science fiction movie of the earth being slurped into a black hole and then at some later date aliens come and find the Mars rovers and speculate on who could have left them there. lol

The way I understand it next year they are going to be able to test the Hawking Radiation theory and know for certain weather they need to worry about this but they don't want to wait. I am certainly not smart enough to know which side is being reasonable.

Keith

reminds me of something i heard

if you get 6 stick of dynamite put them in a circle around yourself and set all 6 stick off at the same time, you would think that you would be quite dead after that but opposite is true basically the force of the blast can not go inwards or at least not far enough to be of harm to you, and no i am not willing to test this lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast