Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: bok's stats

Bok should -ideally- be sponsored by the likes of Tyan or SuperMicro for his Mobos, by Intel or AMD for his CPUs and by RAM and SSD/HDD manufacturers for putting their stuff to work.
    And, as I have written before, Bitcoin Utopia should have a permanent campaign supporting the Stats sites.
    Next best thing is crowdfunding.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 06-27-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Boy am I confused what are 'Squarepants' alternative Fun Stats? In the stats boxes that enclose Boks, Vaios, Gibsons, and trigggls?

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    Boy am I confused what are 'Squarepants' alternative Fun Stats? In the stats boxes that enclose Boks, Vaios, Gibsons, and trigggls?
    I ain't got a clue, and I am having 1,368 of them....

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    Here we go. The guilty party has owned up:
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...ht=squarepants
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Holy Cow the WHEELS FELL OFF. Maybe he dropped a piston, cracked the head, timing is off, lost the condenser, it got a short, or maybe the muffler needs re-threading?
    Last edited by Nflight; 07-17-2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: possible canontations

A continual discussion between myself and NeoGen has been ongoing for now some 2 weeks. I finally got around to asking Bok about enhancements to his system. I have his reply here let me post what he stated:

Bok - Did you see the email I sent from NeoGen and Myself discussing your predicament? Any thoughts on that?

His Reply is below
    I did, just swamped with work. Been putting in 60-70hr weeks. like I've said before though, the main bottleneck is really the fact that the boinc stats and nonboinc stats are on the same server. I think if I seperate them to two different servers it will speed things up a lot, just can't easily do that when I have limited servers to test on. I have one other Dell T7500 which has been running the non boinc stats in parallel, but without having a second one just running the boinc stats I can;t just switch them off on the main live one. That's where another T7500 and some more SSD's would probably do the trick. Of course faster processors, faster memory and all that would speed it up a bit, but it's not worth it in my opinion. After doing this and probably while I did it there are a few changes in scripting / DB stuff that might speed it up. triggers for the milestones would probably help. They take quite some time to generate oddly enough and I've never found a better way to do them, even some other mysql experts I've talked to haven't suggested a better way.
    Can't do any of that testing on the live server unfortunately.

Bok

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Aww man... I just sent the reply back to your PM before hitting "What's new" and seeing this thread. lol

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I batted around a number of crazy ideas with Clint and Phil (really... one of them was beyond crazy) and have gotten to the conclusion that we need to hear what the Master himself is requesting instead of trying to create bigger, badder, crazier things.

So... I say we (not just us AMD Users but the DC community as a whole) should find a barebones Dell T7500, dual-processor equipped, and stack it with as much RAM as it can take (192GB according to specs) plus some SSDs, and have it all shipped over to Phil, and throw in some more extra RAM sticks for his other T7500 just for good measure.

There's a number of small detail questions I still have but the main idea is exactly that. What do you guys think?

NeoGen ==> Dell T7500's are old pieces of equipment. Not only are we attempting to speed up the process but, we are also looking to enhance his capabilities, less old stuff more new stuff. Do more with less attitude, all over situation not just functions completed in an old system I am talking more system access quicker with less energy required. Its not buy an old system and add a few more RAM boosters, we need to find something that takes lots less energy and allows multiple accesses of the data since more and more people are signing up to run BOINC, as you may well be aware the notice I have found is we are up to about 3.8 million users at this time.

Let's recap Dell T5700 is an old machine, lets find a replacement in the AMD FinFet future motherboard arrangement that gives Bok the extra oomph without the excessive energy draw. Let's make the improvement noticeable not just in access times but also in energy used to run these puppies.

Nflight
    Last edited by Nflight; 07-23-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: more people found their way to BOINC

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

I have looked around for alternatives but currently AMD does not have good offers in terms of CPU performance/power ratio, or even raw performance head to head against Intel. The next real lineup upgrade cycle will be at the end of this year when the Zen micro-architecture (on 14nm) debuts. So far all that's been floating around about it have been snippets of unconfirmed information and code names like Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge, Zeppelin, and others, with very little real information and a lot of rumors.

I believe the release dates are scheduled for Q4 2016 for desktop/mobile and 1H 2017 for server components. The next generation of CPUs will also need new motherboards with new chipsets that have not been released yet, the "Promontory" AM4 for desktops, and the SP3 and SP4r2 for the server segment.

In looking up the performance of the dual Xeon x5675 that is equipped in Phil's Dell T7500 I found that it still beats almost all current AMD configurations in synthetic benchmarks, according to CPU Benchmark.net
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/multi_cpu.html (Dual Xeon x5675 is ranked 81st with 12,955 points, only 3 AMD configurations listed produce higher scores than it)

Also the thing that gets me annoyed the most at AMD is the fact they have never supported PCI-Express 3.0 in either the desktop, mobile or server segments. Any modern RAID adapter, PCIe SSD or possibly even GPU that is thrown at an AMD motherboard will not run at full potential. And by 2017 when the new AMD Zen products come out with full PCIe 3.0 support, guess what's going to happen.

So... should we look for an offering from the blue team or just wait for 2017 to come around when the new lineup is available and then make up a plan?

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    Also the thing that gets me annoyed the most at AMD is the fact they have never supported PCI-Express 3.0 in either the desktop, mobile or server segments.
    Desktop:
    PCIe 3.0 support was offered with the -pulled- Sabertooth 990FX GEN3/R2.0.
    PCIe 3.0 support is offered with FM2+ boards -but needs FM2+ APUs for it -if you do not use a discrete PCIe3.0 card.

Mobile:
    PCIe 3.0 support is supplied with AMD laptop graphic cards of the latest generation (see specs).

Server
    PCIe 3.0 support is also supplied with the Opteron A1100, the new ARM server CPU from AMD.

CPU-World gives this comparison between the Xeon X5675 and the Opteron 6328 -roughly the same age and price.

One might argue that the CPUBenchmark is a bit skewed, showing so much Intel-based systems and hardly any AMD ones.
    Could it be that the benchmark is compiled using an Intel compiler that favors Intel CPUs, giving them the best path while sending CPUs of other vendors into the worst one?
    Or are there hardly any AMD servers around -and people willing to send their benchmarks for them?
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 07-25-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast