Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: bok's stats

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    And as most RAID arrays feature disks of the same age, they have the uncanny tendency to fail just when changing another, earlier failed disk...
    Semi related to this, I bought 6 identical Dell Optiplex 990 PCs from a former employer about 18 months ago. They were all Intel I7-2600k CPUs with 16GB DDR3 RAM and WD Blue 1TB HDDs. I have had 4 of the 6 machines die from HDD failures in the last month. I have already got replacement drives on standby for when the remaining 2 machines fail. The odd thing is that the disk failures all coincided with re-boots after installing Windows 7 updates!

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    The odd thing is that the disk failures all coincided with re-boots after installing Windows 7 updates!
    Better install Linux, just to be sure....

yeah.... after all the win10 cram the free upgrade down your throat shitty little games it's hard to put any trust in MS anymore regarding win7. Two choices for the crunching world really, either Linux or win10-pro. At least with pro you can "defer" your updates so you can get things to a point where your work units, specially long term work units are done and uploaded so you don't lose them due to an "accident". Can't remember what the max deferral is, I think I read something somewhere like up to forty days???? At any rate I'm really sorry to hear about your multiple hard disk failures.
    Last edited by Brucifer; 09-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    The odd thing is that the disk failures all coincided with re-boots after installing Windows 7 updates!
    Already tried to re-format them?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Already tried to re-format them?
    No; just replaced them.

Big chance that they could be useful again, once formatted.
    You could change those systems to run the OS (Windows 10 or Linux) from SSD,
    while BOINC -with all its IO- runs from the HDD.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-03-2016 at 07:23 PM.

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    RAID arrays have given me a great amount of "perceived safety" on all my machines ever since I started creating them, but much like the TSA "perceived safety" does not equal absolute safety.
    I've had a few dumb errors happening to me over time that cost me my data several times like:

- "soft" RAID on low end motherboard... worked great until the day I tried partitioning my glorious array and split the free space to spin off a second logical drive. The RAID driver didn't handle drive partitioning correctly causing the file allocation tables to be completely corrupted. Maybe there might have been hope of data recovery with proper tools but about 15 years ago I didn't know what I know today, so... all was lost.

- RAID-5 array corrupted due to system crash... again no hope for recovery

- RAID arrays corrupted due to minor power outages.... This actually happened to me a bunch of times until I stopped being stubborn and started purchasing UPS'es to protect my equipment a little better.

So in the end, no, RAID arrays alone are not a miracle saver, but with the proper support infrastructure around it (Power protection + reliable RAID drivers + regular backups) they will save you in the event of occasional drive failures and keep the system going with no downtime.

At some point in time I did 2nd line application support next door to the 1st line hardware support. The receptionist of the building once brought a PC that did not function anymore but, he proudly said "everything is -by means of the RAID-1 array- automatically written to the second disk, they are identical, you only have to switch the active drive".
    No such luck: the cheapskate had one physical disk partitioned into two logical ones, and the disk had crashed in the worst possible way, making "cathsin-cathsin-cathsin" noises when powered up. May have been "soft" RAID as well...
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 10-05-2016 at 11:26 AM.

No need for raid on the machine as it is purely a cruncher.

But splitting tasks between normal disks is also an option -OS on a SSD, downloads on a HDD, documents on another HDD, Music and video on yet another one.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast