Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: bok's stats

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    Come to think of it... if Bok were to build some specs for a really good future proof server (with AMD Zen Processor! ) and would list them out publicly...

Wouldn't it be neat if come around Christmas (or bok's birthday, or some other date just because), that people from the whole DC community including ourselves, Free-DC, Team Ninja, The Knights Who Say Ni!, Sicituradastra (just to name a few off the top of my head), would pitch in with the parts themselves, to help him build it and take the stats to the next level? (Much like a wedding registry works.)

I mean, it's just a thought here but for the incredible stats service he provides for the whole world, and that I myself consult frequently, I would gladly throw some new SSD's or RAM sticks his way!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoGen View Post
    I would gladly throw some new SSD's or RAM sticks his way!
    64 GB Registered ECC DDR4 sticks even?

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    64 GB Registered ECC DDR4 sticks even?
    Well... maybe not the full 64Gb, at current prices that would hurt my budget quite a bit.
    But say for example he was looking for 4x16Gb, if it didn't require to be a full set I would happily send a 1x 16Gb. (hoping others would send the remaining 3 for the set?)

The most expensive part I ever purchased (so far) is an Adaptec 81605ZQ Raid Adapter... it is the heart of my current VM server (which right now is offline for hardware maintenance), and it was nearly $1000 USD.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    wait a week or so for the financial markets to settle after the brexit vote.
    we might be able to afford more than we could yesterday
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I have wondered how would it be to run Amazon EC2 nodes for Distributed Computing...
    It can be done

I have 1 core running "free for a year" on a Xeon with AWS. Check my SRBase computers ID:3983 its an E5-2670 v2

The cost is prohibitive to actually pay for any of these cores.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    wait a week or so for the financial markets to settle after the brexit vote.
    we might be able to afford more than we could yesterday
    That's giving the brexiteers too much credit

Come to think of it... if Bok were to build some specs for a really good future proof server (with AMD Zen Processor! ) and would list them out publicly...

Wouldn't it be neat if come around Christmas (or bok's birthday, or some other date just because), that people from the whole DC community including ourselves, Free-DC, Team Ninja, The Knights Who Say Ni!, Sicituradastra (just to name a few off the top of my head), would pitch in with the parts themselves, to help him build it and take the stats to the next level? (Much like a wedding registry works.))
    NeoGen => IF you develop this idea and we can wrangle the who Team area that you mentioned, this could work. It is just June and Christmas as about 6 months away. We can do this! => I can ask Bok about what the current hardware list he is currently using. Then ask for a better array list of what he would like using AMD products, and we can then go from there asking the DC community for assistance. I like the idea as I know how addicted I am to those stats too! Any comments? Please say something because I like this idea...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    That's giving the brexiteers too much credit
    It's not the brexiteers you need to watch. It's the investment market and the gold price. Or just the gold price really.
    Our market dropped a cool 60bn off the ASX between the result and our close of market today.
    The prediction is that Monday is likely to be a bloodbath with harsh consequences for the superannuation industry when the markets re-open.
    We will see a re-balance across currencies as the markets adjust - and possibly an immediate boost in tourism to the UK. Holding any UK airline shares? No? Me neither sadly.

Back to the point. the markets will re-adjust themselves.
    There's a scare in progress but I'd expect it will all go back to pretty much where it was yesterday in a little while as long as no-one really important says anything really stupid when everyone realises that the consequences are actually 1 to 2 years away.
    But in the mean time there will be purchasing opportunities.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    I can ask Bok about what the current hardware list he is currently using. Then ask for a better array list of what he would like using AMD products, and we can then go from there asking the DC community for assistance.
    Nothing less than the lastest AMD Zen-Opteron for Bok! Preferably in a dual-mobo, crammed to the max with DDR4 RAM and a big, fat hardwarematic RAID-controller

Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nflight View Post
    NeoGen => IF you develop this idea and we can wrangle the who Team area that you mentioned, this could work. It is just June and Christmas as about 6 months away. We can do this! => I can ask Bok about what the current hardware list he is currently using. Then ask for a better array list of what he would like using AMD products, and we can then go from there asking the DC community for assistance. I like the idea as I know how addicted I am to those stats too! Any comments? Please say something because I like this idea...
    Cool, I like the idea too but didn't think it would gain traction. I never even worked a wedding registry site before, didn't have that for my own wedding. lol. Those are supposed to be automatic and take off the items people buy I think. But a tech website you list out all the parts and as people send them in someone managing the list (bok? or someone on his behalf?) would scratch them off the list so he doesn't get duplicates?

Something like a wish list may work? I keep my own little wish lists at NewEgg for example. That's my main spot for tech purchasing, every now and then I will also go to Amazon and others, but 90% of my shopping is done there. You can do a "Public wish list" on NewEgg, Amazon, or other websites that everyone can see just by distributing the link but it would still have to be managed manually, removing items from the list as bok gets them.
    Last edited by NeoGen; 06-25-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast