Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any new quads out there

Question any new quads out there

Greetings all,

Is anybody here running any of the below newer Intel quad CPU's yet ?

Q9450, Q9550, or the Q9300?

Not yet but am considering a Q9450; torn between motherboards:
    ASUS Rampage Formula which is expensive
    or
    ASUS P5e-vm-hdmi which is much cheaper

Business as slow as it is, inflation continuing to rise and with the value of the dollar so weak, some of us are in the hunker-down and survive mode. Not much left to play with.

Yup, I thought about going with the q9450 also, for me, its a difference of $60. What that difference really buys you is a 6mb more of cpu cache on the Q9450 over a Q9300. A q6600 cpu goes for about $192 @newegg. The Q9300 is the 45nm cpu that is supposed to be the new replacement for the old 65nm 6600, but right now that replacement will cost you about $65 more than what a Q6600 costs today. So I went with a Q9300 to replace my last dual core cpu. I paid $262 for that. More than I wanted since all of the benchies show a q9300 to be very similar to a Q6600, and everyone says that they actually over-clock less than a Q6600 due to their higher locked multiplier value which causes a much higher MB FSB setting to get the speed output desired. The flip side of this cpu is it uses less power and creates less heat

I'll be all quads on the intel side tomorrow, and 2 dual core opteron cpu's left on the AMD side.

any new quads out there

I like the idea of less energy usage....

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Cool

I knew that statement would catch your eye !

I have my new Q9300 online now. After a short day or 2 burn in, I'll ramp it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    I have my new Q9300 online now. After a short day or 2 burn in, I'll ramp it up.
    you burn them in????

they really start to burn after I ramp em up.

I got most of the parts for the new Quad and Doomeva built it for me last night:

Q9450 Yorkfield (amazingly small standard HSF - will get replaced with a Zalman 9700LED as soon as it arrives)

ASUS P5E-V HDMI mobo (needed the BIOS updating to recognise the Q9450 although the box proudly announced it was 45nm processor ready, yeah right! Did I ever tell you the ASUS site sucks? Its as slow as cold treacle. )

4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 ram (with these hooley dooley fans on top )

Coolermaster 520W modular power supply

Samsung 750GB SATAII HDD with 32MB cache

Antec 300 black case (with an extra 120mm case fan and another on order)

The temperatures are 40C idle and 60C full load (Wieferich doing 600 primes per second on 4 cores!). vCore is reported as being 1.25V in Windows (core temp). In the BIOS we left all the overclocking options set to AUTO.

I was going to run Seventeen or Bust but had major difficulties trying to configure it to run on 4 cores - stupid application Its annoying that you need a PhD in Windows Troubleshooting and the dark art of Windows Services to setup this project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast