Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To many Projects are TU

Nice to see that you left the Dark Side nflight.

Once upon a time I was in to beta testing on boinc. And without a doubt there are a few boinc projects that are excellently run with more than sufficient infrastructure, funding, and intelligence. The sad thing to me about boinc is that basically it has enabled every junkyard wannabee out there to run a project. Some of those projects are interesting and have a good premise and all, however the support just isn't there. Many of them have shut down with no warning. There are also a number of them that are just plain unreliable, they run today for a while, then don't for a while. Many don't have work, or don't process it, or run out of work and take forever to assign more, or run out of work for one platform but not another, and on and on. WCG is one of the projects that is run with much forethought. Some start out well, and then fall on hard times... seti comes to mind. Boinc was an outgrowth of the seti effort.

Anyway, I just sit in amusement and have to laugh over all the drama and histrionics over a number of the boinc project problems. Many, many of them shouldn't be running. Then aren't funded worth a hoot, however well intentioned they may be. I put some time and effort into some boinc projects only to have them shutdown out of the blue, etc. I got tired of it, and that is one of the main reasons why I don't touch boinc projects anymore. Stuff like that has soured many people on the DC efforts. It's not the same now as it was back in the days when seti was all the rage.

And nflight, it isn't only the boinc ones that have the corner on poorly run projects... remember ditributed folding? Or there was one on evolution that was cool, the name escapes me now, but it was a fun one and then whammo.... they went offline. Or how about the non-boinc D2OL that went through the whole points fiasco thing and lost tons of the previous crunchers? But at least D2OL is still plugging away.

A new boinc project comes out and too many just flock to it like a herd of flies in a barnyard on a fresh pile of cow dung.... And what have all these fly-by-night projects accomplished other than wasting a ton of electricity?

I'm not personally a fan of F@H clients, however, Pande (or whatever his name is) has to be commended for having one of the most progressive and organized projects out there that has stood the test of time. He even got Sony programming for him.... not many have done that. But it is one of the few excellent projects out there. There are also a few math projects that have been chugging away for a long time, SOB comes to mind right off the top of my head..... GIMPS has been around a long time, and some others also. And the interesting thing is there is a paucity of boincness among them. Some of them take a bit a manual intervention, and they aren't simple projects to run. But they have a following, a long term one, and they are devoted.

One area of nflight's comments was intriguing though... the part that was referencing boinc statistics addiction. I got a good chuckle over that. But you do know that once you quit crunching all those stats, all those points, and $1.25 will still only buy you a $1.25 cup of coffee... in fact the truly amazing thing is you don't even need those points. For some reason the only thing they seem really interested in is the $1.25

Go figure...
    Last edited by Brucifer; 07-16-2008 at 05:36 PM.

I haven´t been running Boinc since our last race I think. I began turn me away from Boinc. I ran D20L, MoneyBee, Wieferich. Then I began run SoB and because they not have a platform developed for 2 or more cores, I now run SoB on one core and Wieferich on the other.

And all my computers run Non-Boinc project. I think I not will run Boinc again. It should be over my dead body. It is my feeling right now. My Intel PII runs EoN as the only project.

Lagu
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Wow, all very good points. I'll add my two cents to the discussion. I think the overall choice as to what projects to run and what not to run is up to the person paying for the electricity and hardware costs. There are several different avenues within our team that I think makes us one of the best distributed computing groups in the world. We are number 2 in the DC-Vault, which ranks both BOINC and non-BOINC together. That is something to be very proud of. This is a hobby for all of us. Its great teamwork when we try to overtake other teams.

Some people run non-BOINC projects only, some run just BOINC, and some run everything. Some join every new project that starts up, and some have joined only one. Some have one AMD single-core computer that's 4+ years old, and some have huge pharms of overclocked Q6600's. Some crunch for points, and some crunch for scientific value. It simply shows how different we all are, and how we all come together in this.

As for myself, I gladly join and run as many of the medical, science, and physics projects BOINC/non-BOINC that are out there -- with a couple of exceptions such as DepSpid and Dimes, because they use virtually no CPU cycles. I did run dnet years ago, until they pulled the prize challenge. I have not joined any of the Math projects. No offense intended, but I don't see a scientific value in trying to determine a gazillion place prime number or all of these x^2=(y+a)/b-1 theorems! (I hated Geometry in High School, but loved Algebra/Precalc, go figure.)

An issue I've seen relates to the amount of points given out. I've seen several complaints that this project gives too many, and that one doesn't give enough. Why does it matter if the science is valid and may help cure malaria/dengue/cancer, or we find an asteroid that might collide with the planet in our lifetime? (Trying to find ET can be debated) However, there are so many projects out there, that I have to set a limit/goal of around 100k that I feel has been a sufficient amount of contribution to their research.

In regards to BOINC, I don't have enough problems with it to stop cold turkey. The client seems pretty simple to join projects and crunch workunits, with not too much intervention necessary. You can set to suspend or 'no new work' or detach as you like. The developers are constantly working on improving it. Yes, there are many problem projects that are utilizing it. A few admins/scientists start-up these things, and don't seem to realize how much work goes into it. APS, GeneticLife, Magnetism, Cosmology, and Hydrogen for example have just one person crews (if I'm not mistaken) running the show and are not backed up by a university of volunteers. Dealing with server crashes, workunit generation and crashes, DNS issues, second jobs, all take away from them running a successful project. I fail to see why the BOINC platform itself is completely at fault.

Quote Originally Posted by sentient_life View Post
    I fail to see why the BOINC platform itself is completely at fault.
    I don't think anyone has said that the boinc platform itself is at fault. It has enabled people to run a project that were/are not really prepared to run a project is about the extent of the comments on boinc. As for the reference to the person paying the electricity being the one to choose the project, that is most definitely germane!

Crunching, with one aim!

Well, I have crunch numbers on and off since 2000 , lost a few account with Seti and came back last year. I been steady since and have only one preocupacion. Will I make a difference! I like to think that I will and I'm making a difference. Whats important is not how much we crunch, nor how high we go, but that we all do crunch and that we do it out of our hearts and not for the status of been # 1 or in the top 5% bla bla.

As a team, we should be proud of our accomplishment, and those are that we are :

1> That we are there to help one another in solving problems.
    2> That we are crunching.
    3> That we are accomplishing something for mankind!
    4> That we have cross borders and gone out to meet others across the fromtiers, just to chat and crunch.
    5> That in our own way we have fabricated a supper computer compose of 1000+ individual from around the world and we can one day say, we were part of this.

So lets stop complaining about the numbers, the credits, the projects(and there will be more that will fail) and concentrate in just been part of this, our camaradery and our crunching. Anyway no one put a gun on our heads to crunch, we all join because we like it and we think we might accomplish something.

One thing I have to say about the credits. That shows our competetive nature and it is a way to mesure our progress, but taking that aside, lets look on our real progress.
    We have united a bunch of guys and gilrs from all backgrounds and countries, and show us that no matter were we are or were we come from we can find indeviduals with similar likes and join together. All else is plain gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by Borfil View Post
    Well, I have crunch numbers on and off since 2000 , lost a few account with Seti and came back last year. I been steady since and have only one preocupacion. Will I make a difference! I like to think that I will and I'm making a difference. Whats important is not how much we crunch, nor how high we go, but that we all do crunch and that we do it out of our hearts and not for the status of been # 1 or in the top 5% bla bla.

As a team, we should be proud of our accomplishment, and those are that we are :

1> That we are there to help one another in solving problems.
    2> That we are crunching.
    3> That we are accomplishing something for mankind!
    4> That we have cross borders and gone out to meet others across the fromtiers, just to chat and crunch.
    5> That in our own way we have fabricated a supper computer compose of 1000+ individual from around the world and we can one day say, we were part of this.

So lets stop complaining about the numbers, the credits, the projects(and there will be more that will fail) and concentrate in just been part of this, our camaradery and our crunching. Anyway no one put a gun on our heads to crunch, we all join because we like it and we think we might accomplish something.

One thing I have to say about the credits. That shows our competetive nature and it is a way to mesure our progress, but taking that aside, lets look on our real progress.
    We have united a bunch of guys and gilrs from all backgrounds and countries, and show us that no matter were we are or were we come from we can find indeviduals with similar likes and join together. All else is plain gravy.
    the way Dr Iggy puts it, I never thought about it that far, but its actually true. We are an international crunching community, let the governments take an example to us! (for some reason the last bit of the sentence sounds weird)

PS: Nflight, I've surpassed you in the team stats

Ok Nflight, I'm going to give SOB a couple of weeks run. Other than WCG I've always run Boinc related projects. So, I'm a Boinc'r to the core.

To many Projects are TU

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    Ok Nflight, I'm going to give SOB a couple of weeks run. Other than WCG I've always run Boinc related projects. So, I'm a Boinc'r to the core.
    That's Great Mitchellds, welcome aboard!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

What I mean is that after enjoying our crunching and our camaradery, our standing and points or credits is just fine and dandy because they just satisfied our personal vanity as competitors and humans. So it is nice to have a quantitive measure of our accomplishments, but our goals should be to be friends, and crunch.

Updating the thread from the OP today we continue the sorry saga of BOINC Projects going "Toes Up":
    The list at Boinc Synergy shows the following:-
    ABC@home beta - Down
    APS@home - Unreachable
    BOINC Alpha - Unreachable
    DepSpid - Unreachable
    Enigma@home - Unreachable
    ESEA@home - Unreachable
    GeneticLife@home - Unreachable
    MalariaControl - Unreachable
    MindModeling beta - Unreachable
    NQueens - Unreachable
    Predictor@home - Unreachable
    Project Neuron - Unreachable
    PS3Grid - Unreachable
    Riesel Sieve - Unreachable
    SCILink - Unreachable
    Seti@home - Unreachable
    Seti@home beta - Unreachable
    UFluids - Unreachable

and one that says its OK but actually isn't is PrimeGrid. Its just plain not there!!!

They suck you in with a big "Let's commemorate the anniversary of the Lunar Landing" challenge then their site goes "Poof" and vanishes into cyberspace. No "Sorry we're down for maintenance, be back at x". Nup, just gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast