Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not feeling well...

Thanx Everyone. This is my 1 trip a day into the computer dungeon, and it sux to so 'Hi' and I feel like 'Crap'.

Anyway, back upstairs to more pills, fluids and naps....

I'm still waiting FB.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederic Brillouet View Post
    vaughan prolly knows better than me, but flu virus is not treateable with antibiotics (any virus actually). you just need to wait it out
    He's right. Antibiotics work on bacteria not viruses. In some cases of the Flu you get a secondary infection due to bacteria and this is where the antibiotics are used. If you take the steps outlined in the previous posts your body should mount its own immune response to see off the influenza virus strain you have acquired. If you are still sick after more than a couple of days or if you have any other health issues eg diabetes, high blood pressure etc go see your local doctor. They may start you on some antibiotics "just in case" you have one of the bugs that causes pneumonia and may also take swabs of the throat or might get a sputum sample (yuck) sent to a laboratory for culture and sensitivity testing (to see what bacterium or bacteria) you have and to check that the antibiotics will actually work against that bug. Indiscriminate over prescribing of antibiotics or patients who don't finish the entire packet ('cuz I felt better Doc) lead the bacteria to gain resistance to the antibiotics so that higher and longer doses of more and more powerful (= expensive) antibiotics are required.
    /end lesson
    Last edited by vaughan; 07-23-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    He's right. Antibiotics work on bacteria not viruses. In some cases of the Flu you get a secondary infection due to bacteria and this is where the antibiotics are used. If you take the steps outlined in the previous posts your body should mount its own immune response to see off the influenza virus strain you have acquired. If you are still sick after more than a couple of days or if you have any other health issues eg diabetes, high blood pressure etc go see your local doctor. They may start you on some antibiotics "just in case" you have one of the bugs that causes pneumonia and may also take swabs of the throat or might get a sputum sample (yuck) sent to a laboratory for culture and sensitivity testing (to see what bacterium or bacteria) you have and to check that the antibiotics will actually work against that bug. Indiscriminate over prescribing of antibiotics or patients who don't finish the entire packet ('cuz I felt better Doc) lead the bacteria to gain resistance to the antibiotics so that higher and longer doses of more and more powerful (= expensive) antibiotics are required.
    /end lesson
    amen. V, why dont you become our teacher for microbiology?

Immunohematology is more interesting. Blood doesn't stink like wees and poos

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Immunohematology is more interesting. Blood doesn't stink like wees and poos
    argh after i've done this exam again, i'm leaving t-cells, b-cells ig's, mhc's and the lot over to you. I'll give you a computer in exchange

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    That sucks Bender10.
    Hope you get better fast.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Not feeling well...

Bender10 I hope with all this doctor conversation you get the feeling we really do care for your health, and want you back in one piece sooner then later. How do you feel now after a few days of rest and naps?

Next time someone says "is there a Doctor in the house" we will all know we have several lurking...!!!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Thanks, I woke up felling a little better. The first night of somewhat restful sleep all week. Still congested, hacking and sore. The anti-B's I'm taking for the pneumonia seems to be working (slowly). A little codine in the cough medicine at bedtime is starting to help me rest.

I may have to start using the on line 'dial-a-doctor', with all the local talent. It would be cheeper that my current quack...
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

glad you are starting to feel better bender, get well soon

Hopefully maybe you are starting to see the end of this!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast