Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: X4 9850 Black Edition

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    Ditto I'm also interested in what mobo you selected and why.

AMDave has bought a Phenom recently - see his current Riesel/Sierpinski Base 5 LLR/PRP scores. Hopefully he'll see this thread and respond.

Danish Dynamite - what board did you get? Was it an MSI?
    MSI K9A2 CF-F (you will need at least bios version 1.5 for phenom)

I have the K9A2 Platinum, anyone care to donate a phenom? for testing purposes

I have one of those boards with a 9850 in it and it works very well so far. I haven't tried to overclock it much yet. I also haven't tried to add 4 video cards to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason1478963 View Post
    I have one of those boards with a 9850 in it and it works very well so far. I haven't tried to overclock it much yet. I also haven't tried to add 4 video cards to it yet.
    if someone has an extra pair of hd3870's, i could try that

Just bought a Spider platform a couple of weeks ago..back in the game :-)

After a few days of internal debating like the dickens as to whether I should get a q6600, or one of the new phenoms, I bit the bullet tonight and made my order.

1 AMD Phenom X4-9850 Black
    1 GA-78GM-SH2 AM2+ Phenom Motherboard
    1 4gb DDR2 PC6400 Twinx Corsair (2 2gb sticks)
    Tax for the good old governor,
    and overnight shipping,
    came to a grand total of $432.08

Ordered through Fry's. Could have done the NewEgg thing and saved a couple pennies, but then the shipping would have been more. And when I go to the coast this weekend I go past Fry's anyway so I can return anything if I'm unlucky... Not! (knock-on-wood)

So this puppy is a 125W bugger

however, I decided to give it a try since I've been an AMD fan since they started releasing cpu's, and I don't want to see Intel end up being the only act in town.

I plan to run OpenSuse 10.3 on it, which is what I've got a q6600 running, so I can do some comparisson testing between the two on linux. So I'm excited about it and anxiously waiting for it. I noticed that NewEgg has received some Black 9950's now, clocking at 2.6g, where the 9850 is 2.5g.

if you plan on overclocking, you should have waited another week or so for the new boards with the amd750 southbridge. 100-300 mhz higher on lower volts. according to anandtech's preliminary testing.

I don't overclock.

thats cool, you'll be happy with your choice then. I have two phenom 9600BE's running on that board, both clocked at 2.5 Ghz. very happy with them.

yup, no overclocking and no fancy graphics. Just run pure plain old text terminals and let all that processing power go to the projects.

Glad to hear that you are happy with the mobo. I just got the overnight package a few minutes ago. Unfortunately I have a "function" to go to tonight so I can't start playing with the new toy yet. But I'll get to it either really late tonight or else first thing in the morning.

Pretty excited about it as I'm really curious how AMD is going to do agains the Core2 world.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast