Thread: Amd 790gx

Amd 790gx

AMD has released a new chipset. Read about it here and here at AMD

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    Or here: lol
    http://www.directron.com/m3a78t.html or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SUS-_-13131331
    Priced cheaper than I thought they would be.
    Last edited by gatekeeper53; 08-07-2008 at 02:39 PM.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Advice

Anyone had any knowlegde or advice about this CPU, is it as good as they say?
    AMD Phenon X3 8750 2.4mhz. What be the best board for it?

I'm thinking on building a new unit with 4gig om ram and a 300gig HD, not sure what graph card to use, I love Nvidea.

thanks

the tri-cores are great for prebuilt systems as they advertise them against dual cores which means more money for amd, but given the price difference, get a quad. heck, newegg has the 9850's at the same price right now for retail boxes. and the oem triple is only 15 bucks cheaper and you'll still need to buy heatsink.

if you plan to overclock, get the 9850BE or even the 9950BE and one of the new 790GX MBs, if running stock I would get the 9850 and this MB, GIGABYTE GA-MA78GPM-DS2H

sounds like a nice chip set, amd have included about 12 watts of power savings as well is nearly enough to make me go get a new computer for a HTPC of course

That 9850BE looks good for the money, and yes I saw the price diff. It is very minimal and it is more practical to get the quad. Well after my power crash I got to rewired my computer room, and will try to put some fail safe system on the room circuit, plus add the stupid (Used Gold) UPS, I can't find the MB here but have order it with the CPU, 2gig Ram and a 320 HD, let hope it comes soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Borfil View Post
    Anyone had any knowlegde or advice about this CPU, is it as good as they say?
    AMD Phenon X3 8750 2.4mhz. What be the best board for it?

I'm thinking on building a new unit with 4gig om ram and a 300gig HD, not sure what graph card to use, I love Nvidea.

thanks
    i'd do the HD4850/4870/4870 X2... ATI drivers are up to snuff IMO (well... stability wise ;) had some issues LOADING them, tho X) but i'm lovin' it as they're my first ATI GPU with a 3850)