Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with scoreing.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis

Problems with scoreing.

I think we may have a problem in our future. I have just read how points are awarded in SOB. It seems that points are given out as the work is done but, if the wu isn't finished then the points for the unfinished wu's are taken back. For example if I were to stop running as of now I have 39 completed tests. For these I have the points and they will forever remain in our team score. I also have 40 pending tests for which I have been awarded points for the work I have finished on them. Were I to stop work on the pending tests the project would recoup all points that I have been awarded thus far. With this sad discovery I would ask that anyone with unfinished wu's please take the time to finish then up at your earliest convenience. In order to not start any more wu's as they finish up go into the config area and check the box that says not to start anymore wu's upon completion of the present wu. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any help you have the time to give.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Wow... I didn't know that...

Yes that's right Gatekeeper. If you don't send an intermediate block or "trickle" at least once a month (I think its actually 28 days) the k / n pair is deemed abandoned by the project and assigned to the work queue. Any points scored for the intermediate blocks are then removed from the personal and team stats. This is why you sometimes see a negative score. As long as you send a block occasionally its OK but its a good idea just to get a move on and complete the task. As you said, set the configuration to no new work.

This was much easier when the project was young as the tasks only took about a week to crunch but now they take several weeks to months depending on how fast your PC is and how much time you allow SOB to run each day.

Thanks Vaughan,

I wasn't sure about the 28 days but it sounds about right. I like the idea that someone can just start SOB up for awhile every so often and still avoid the loss of points. But, they have to check the no more work box in config, so as not to download more work.

question? if I'm running service on 4 cores and stop it and start the single client, will it finish the 4 sets I was running before downloading new data?

I'm fairly certain that you are correct. I'm not sure but I have sent the question on to IronBits over at FreeDC, he seems to be the resident guru on SOB. If anyone is in doubt about the amount of unfinished work they have they can check on this page http://www.seventeenorbust.com/stats/users/ just by entering their user name and scrolling down to "Pending tests".

Quote Originally Posted by liuqyn View Post
    question? if I'm running service on 4 cores and stop it and start the single client, will it finish the 4 sets I was running before downloading new data?
    I'm not 100% sure but I think in this scenario the stopped service will have 4 tasks that were assigned to cores 0,1,2,3. When you stop the service and start the standard SOB client the instance that was on core 0 runs. When it finishes (several weeks time!) it will grab a new task (k/n pair) and your remaining 3 instances from your service will still be waiting for you to re-start the service. If you now stop the standard client and then start the service your new task from the standard client and your 3 old service tasks will all startup (provided you haven't exceeded the 28 days trickle rule mentioned in the earlier thread).

Sorry but its quite tedious.

Good reply Vaughan! The one got back from Ironbits wasn't quite as long. lol
    "Short answer is no. Service and single client are different."

thats what I thought, I hoped I was wrong though.

I interpret IB's reply a little differently. I said the standard client would resume service client core 0's task, he says its different. So you could have 5 tasks on a Quad - 4x service and 1x standard.

Now what I need to discover is the service switch that tells SOB not to grab new work. I have it selected in the GUI client window but yesterday it went and grabbed 2 new tasks and today when I checked its at 7% so I don't want to abort that work now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast