Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: FreeHAL@home

Excuse me a bit so I can set up my soap box...

Sounds to me like a project that needs to be put on the backburner for awhile. This is the second time that everyone's credits have been wiped out at FreeHAL. The first time was related to a hacker messing around causing havok with the database. Now, the granted credits were too high, so the admin erases them all! There are so many projects out there that I feel are beneficial to human knowledge and possibly helping prolong lives. I use the credits to give each project an equal amount of my crunching power -- it could be 5 cr/hr or 50 cr/hr -- I don't care. But, when they keep erasing that credit, either through their fault or not, it just makes me think they don't really care about the help we are contributing to them. Couldn't they have retroactively adjusted everyone to the new 8 cr/hr? Alpha status or not, this is getting to be a bit much.

Ok, I'm all better now

This project seams to be running fine again (for now), runs in cpu non-intensive mode (which means in addition to other wu's running) and takes almost no cpu time (makes me wonder just what work is being done really).

so if any of you care to come back this might be a good time to check it out.

FreeHAL@home

Liuqyn: You are making some tremendous strides in that project way to go Champion Cruncher ! ! !...

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Hopefully, third time's the charm in regards to them not resetting the credits! I do like the non-CPU intensive part, but it seems the workunits are so short, that the BOINC Mgr is constantly looking for more work. I'll need to set to NNW when my housemates are home, so they can run their games, etc.

I noticed it awards 8 points per task now instead of the absurdly low 5 points per hour that it used to.

Still downloads about 8MB per task so chews up the download allowance if you aren't careful.

actually, it only seams to download once, then the wus are little nothings after that.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    I noticed it awards 8 points per task now instead of the absurdly low 5 points per hour that it used to.
    If your ISP isn't download capped, then if you guys haven't done so already, you should consider attaching to the project. AMD Users were down in 37th place and we've already made it back up to 24th! I don't know if the admin will allow the current credit/hour to continue like this -- it was the whole reason the credits were reset the last time. Let's get 'em while we can!

ackkk, I just realized what this project has been doing to my home internet. going to have to scale back MASSIVELY. maybe down to a single box(at least for now).

Ditto for me. I hit 10k in credits and called it a day. I might return once the "network saturation" issue is fixed. Perhaps, that's why we were able to leapfrog so many teams. No one else wanted to crunch the workunits!

FreeHAL@home

News of the Day

All members of FreeHAL@home need to reattach to FreeHAL@home in the
    BOINC Manager because we changed our code signing key.

Regards,
    Tobias

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast