Thread: AMD Splits in two

AMD Splits in two

AMD and Advanced Technology Investment Company of Abu Dhabi to Create Leading-Edge Semiconductor Manufacturing Company
    Mubadala Development Company intends to increase investment in financially-stronger AMD, which is simultaneously unlocking the value of its manufacturing assets.
    On Oct. 7, 2008, AMD and the Advanced Technology Investment Company announced the intention to create a new global enterprise, The Foundry Company, to address the growing global demand for independent, leading-edge semiconductor manufacturing. There is a strong shift to foundries occurring – particularly to foundries with the capacity to produce devices using leading-edge process technologies. With The Foundry Company, AMD will be able to unlock the value of its world-class manufacturing capability – by making it available to a growing community of fabless semiconductor companies.

http://web.amd.com/newglobalfoundry/

Advanced Micro Devices said Tuesday that it would split into two companies — one focused on designing microprocessors and the other on the costly business of manufacturing them — in a drastic effort to maintain its position as the only real rival to Intel.
    In addition, the company said two Abu Dhabi investment firms would inject at least $6 billion into the two companies, mostly to finance a new chip factory that A.M.D. planned to build near Albany and to upgrade one of the company’s existing plants in Dresden, Germany.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/te...=1&oref=slogin

“This is the biggest announcement in our history. This will make us a financially stronger company, both in the near term and in the long term, as a result of being out from the capital expense burden we have had to bear.” - A.M.D. Chief Executive, Dirk Meyer
    Last edited by S. Starbuck; 10-07-2008 at 03:52 PM.

Interesting to note that IBM is involved in "The Foundery".

LOL, when I first read the announcement I thought they were changing the name to A-N-D as in A and D.

If they fix the abysmal performance of ATI GPUs in Folding At Home I'd switch and stop buying Nvidia cards, until then ... sorry AMD but you aren't in the race.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    LOL, when I first read the announcement I thought they were changing the name to A-N-D as in A and D.

If they fix the abysmal performance of ATI GPUs in Folding At Home I'd switch and stop buying Nvidia cards, until then ... sorry AMD but you aren't in the race.
    I thought the gpu's perform just fine, but the points they are getting is less for the same wu as nvidias. not sure, but thats what I thought

well from the first post and reading links it sounds to me that AMD will be able to become more profitable by taking on out manufacturing jobs and hopefully they will be able to spend a bit more on R&D which would increase performance of cpus ect in turn making AMD products a much better choice then other solutions, i think i read it was 6 billion dollars that is getting invested in both companies also it would be wise to note that it is ATIC (Advanced Technology Investment Company) not ATI

Got on update on this, intel is making it's voice heard:

Intel says will defend patent rights against AMD
    http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...48080720081007

The actual patent cross-license agreement can be read here:
    http://contracts.corporate.findlaw.c...001.01.01.html
    Last edited by S. Starbuck; 10-08-2008 at 08:09 PM.