Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Farms, Names, Pictures, Projects and Paper Trays

heh heh, yeah occasionally I find a good dumpster to dive into.

X4150's 8 cores each, 4gb memory, raid, yum, a tasty treat.

Some real nice stuff you've got there mitchellds!

A few updates for today.

Firstly, the company I ordered the last parts for have continued to mess around with my order, giving excuses, and so on. So today I simply told them to cancel it.

I've now re-ordered the stuff from elsewhere, which should, provided there are no more issues, arrive by the end of this week.

But I did get another packages today!

This one came all the way from Hong Kong:

And this is what it contained:

Not sure what they are? Here is one of them in place on the motherboard:

Yup, these are my IDE to Compact Flash adaptors. Now I just need the actual Compact Flash to arrive...

Well isn't this an interesting day...

PT1-Crunchy

PT2-RealTime

Yup.. Two nodes up and running!!!!!

Sadly not quite everything came today - The splitters to allow me to use one PSU on two motherboards are still not here - hence why it's just the two nodes, and not all four.

But lets see how we got to this stage, shall we?

Packages that came today:

Lets open the smaller package first:

And inside these:

In total there are 6 sticks of 1GB DDR2-1066 RAM. Although I can't make use of this speed with my current CPUs, it saves me having to upgrade the RAM later when I upgrade the CPUs.

So let's open the big parcel now!

Those PSUs are rated at 425W - More than enough to run two of those nodes.

Here is all the bits and bobs the PSUs came with:

Next, opening up (and popping much of) the bubble wrap, we find these:

The nice 2GB Compact Flash cards (rated at x133 speed.)

Popping those and the RAM into the motherboards:

So with them all wired up I could install the OS (Arch again). I have however moved them somewhere else... Here's a pic of me installing Arch:

As you can see, they are now in the bookshelf!

Here's a closer view:

And so there we have it. As soon as the extra cables come I'll get the other two online.

Now I am still looking for ideas for names. I decided having a simple numbering system would be a good idea, so they will all start with PTx (where X is the node number), but then each one gets a proper name as well.

So my thanks to Frederic Brillouet for the name Crunchy, vaughan for RealTime (not quite what you had in mind, but I liked it), and Danish Dynamite for the PTx idea.

As for projects, I'm liking AMDave's 10K idea, so I might go with that.

Anyhow, I'm rather happy at the moment

the way you have it set up now i guess it might be better to call them BCS3L1, BCS3L2 BCS3R1 and BCS3R2 for bookcase shelf 3 left# and right# or book cruncher shelf 3 left# and right# lol

Edit i don't understand why 6 sticks of ram ? i can understand 4 or 8 stick
    Last edited by Danish Dynamite; 10-16-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    Edit i don't understand why 6 sticks of ram ? i can understand 4 or 8 stick
    Oops, I should have mentioned - As it was cheaper to buy the RAM in pairs that's what I did. I then replaced my pair of 512MB sticks in my main pc with the extra pair of 1GB sticks, to give me that big extra ooomph

How about names of Greek gods, of mythological creatures?

Well I have actually just given names to the other two nodes (although they are not online yet) spikey_richie:

PT3-Cassiopeia
    PT4-Element117

So yeah, I already looked to the greeks for inspiration, as well as looking at constellations after AMDave's suggestion.

It's an interesting topic. Whilst I was sat on the beach last week I was thinking about what I'd call my servers if I were a domain admin. I started off with the names of the 4 elephapnts holding up the turtle which in turn holds up the Discworld (Terry Pratchett...) but there's only 4 of them. Then I thought about characters from HHGTTG but there's not that many names, and most of them have been used for apps. already (Trillian is a good example).

I did eventually come up with a list that gave me a good 15-20 servers, but my mind is blank as to what they were... it's in there somewhere.

P.S. Are you in the UK? Oh, and have you checked out this site before? http://www.mini-itx.com
    Last edited by spikey_richie; 10-21-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spikey_richie View Post
    P.S. Are you in the UK? Oh, and have you checked out this site before? http://www.mini-itx.com
    Yes to both questions.

And indeed, all the names I can think of are either dull or unimaginative. (Except for Element117 which I did name myself, and I think isn't bad. (Look up the elements if you don't know about it.), and so that's why I get other people to name them for me

Ununseptium - http://www.radiochemistry.org/periodictable/elements/117.html

Sounds heavy!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast