Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking ram help ( ask Dirk )

Question Overclocking ram help ( ask Dirk )

on today's addition of ASK Dirk

so i got a really good deal on some 8350s lined up and im on to looking at ram. I am pondering from what ive seen / Read these chips since they are already at the high end don't overclock so well even with really elaborate cooling. never the less i do expect to get 4.6 to 4.8 out of them. from what i understand the chips are clocked at 1333 since i do intend on overclocking them past the 4.2 im wondering if i should be looking at ram that is faster then 1333 so that when i increase the ram speed im not really pushing the ram beyond what its intended speed is any advice?

today episode of ask dirk is brought to you by Thompson teeth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzw6nRnaQG0
    Word Nerds!

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    You better have some good cooling system lined up too, the FX 8350 is rated at 125W TDP!

But nevertheless that is an awesome chip I would say, I just wish it would not use so much electricity.

For myself I would say the faster the RAM the better, but be wise in your spendings as faster RAM is usually expensive and doesn't yield that much of a result in most cases, and you have to go through some long hours of stress testing to make sure there will be no RAM issues later on. For myself I usually get 8Gb (highest capacity available) 1600 MHz DDR3 sticks for everyday machines and 1866MHz if I'm feeling adventurous and have money to spend. Beyond that it becomes outside my budget.

I have an 8350 running and used this RAM; ADATA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000), To get the chip to overclock at a temp that won't boil water I had to go with a Corsair H80i liquid cooler. The cooler dropped the temps a little over 45%. Even after all that my I7-3770K kicks it's butt at stock speed and on stock air cooler. I have the 8350 backed off to 4.7 stable but I have had it up to 5.1. Between it and the HD68xx and HD 69xx GPU's I have running the little wheel in the electric meter makes a whirrrring sound. Lucky I have a hydro-electric dam right down the road.
    Last edited by Terry1953; 09-16-2013 at 06:21 PM.

It can be wise when buying expensive overclockers RAM to look in the motherboard manual just how much it will take.
    Generally you are better off with 32GB of 1600Mhz RAM than with 8GB of 2400Mhz RAM -in case your mobo will only take two banks of the fast RAM and then only in 4GB modules.
    When you are overclocking the system, RAM can be overclocked as well. 16 or 32 GB of the RAM Terry mentioned can be very useful then.
    Personally I am very fond of G.Skill's 1866Mhz Ripjaws CL8-9-9-24 memory for overclocking.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-16-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Dirk the 2 965's that I got each have 8GB of the GSkill's 1866Mhz Ripjaw it just happend to be on sale when I was building them. I haven't even tried to OC any of that mess yet i'm waiting till I get everything moved out to the shed and on the Batt backups to deal with them.http://s855.photobucket.com/user/gat...tml?sort=3&o=3

G.Skill has an amazing variety of RAM sticks (Ripjaws, RipjawsX, RipjawsZ, Sniper, Trident, Ares) at both various speeds and various latencies, the red and orange sticks are generally slower -in terms of latency- than the blue and blacks ones (that's for the Ripjaws variants; their top memory is the black-and-red TridentX, at speeds up to 2933Mhz. Buying 32GB of these babies sets you back €1.379,- here...).

These F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM, RipjawsX, XMP, Lite Retail are blistering fast for their money, and quite affordable too!
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-16-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Yup that's them. I hate to say it but the reasons I got them was #1 the speed was nice, #2 the price was right, and #3 I wanted the blue to match the rest of the build.

Terry/Gatekeeper53

Wooooops!!
    Last edited by Terry1953; 09-16-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Terry/Gatekeeper53

Quote Originally Posted by Terry1953 View Post
    Yup that's them. I hate to say it but the reasons I got them was #1 the speed was nice, #2 the price was right, and #3 I wanted the blue to match the rest of the build.
    That's more or less the same reasons there's two likewise F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM @2133 MHz in my ASUS F1A75-V EVO!
    Another reason is that they have a lower heatsink than Corsair Vengeance memory and did permit my Thermaltake Big Typhoon to be placed on the APU (which was impossible with the Vengeance memory)
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 09-16-2013 at 10:48 PM.

woh woh woh . simmer down post whores is the speed of the ram not dictated by the speed of the chip by that i mean if the speed of the bus on the cpu is 1000mhz 2000mhz hyper-transport would anything faster then 2000 be a waist and create a bottleneck understandably overclocking them will cause those numbers to vary just using them as an example btw i had my eyes on some crucial sticks my last few builds have been gskill but only because i couldn't afford the crucial but its come way down in price would you guys still recommend the gskill knowing that i could get crucial? i mean unstable and crucial r not words that belong in the same sentence from my experience

alot has changed over the last few years wile ive been working everyday thanks for your patients
    Word Nerds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast