Thread: Microsuck dont do what i did

Question Microsuck dont do what i did

So this is my fault entirely,
    lucky i am in the process of copying over the 3TB of data not accessible from windows threw a live linux cd .
    maybe someone knows of a work around in case i ever do it again this is my second time doing it?
    so here the deal, I move my data drives around a lot hot swap from one tower to another.
    sometimes ill move a drive to copy many gigs of data even though my net work is gigabit.
    Anything over 500 gigs ill just move the drive to save lots of time i only get about 60MB over the network .
    Yes that is fast but not as fast as being plugged in and i certainly cant risk bit rot from interference on the network affecting my star trek episodes
    So if anyone else has moved drives a lot from an old install another computer ect.
    you know that sometimes windows will throw a pissy over ownership of the drive or folders more so from an old install.
    Taking ownership is not rocket science in this case it was being mover from an old install.
    no same user account names so as im removing the old user permissions guess what.
    I removed myself and the administrator access from the drive
    You might wonder why bother this particular drive is full of movies and was in rout to go in the media server.
    Having invalid users has caused me sharing issues in the past and i try to dumb it down as much as i can for windows.
    Being that i have no access to the drive i cant take ownership.
    i don't have the security validation to do so or change security for the drive or folders in anyway.
    I tried a clean install with a new user name wile the drive was plugged in hoping it would add the new account.... no help
    Moved it back to the old tower to see if i would be prompted to take ownership....... no help
    To make things worse when i tried to change security levels on the drive to add myself.
    It went half threw and then give me an I/O error so now the files in the root folder have varied owners on them
    did some research on the microsuck tech site it recommend i do a checkdisk.
    Im not sure but GPT partitions my compound this issue since i could not get a checkdisk to finish hung at 60%.
    i know this happens sometimes when trying to recover a bad sector.
    But its unlikely, its a seagate drive just got it last week i let it go ALLLLLL night and day still at 60%.
    tried every switch /f /r/unmounted first still 60%.
    im thinking perhaps the files were dirty and it wanted to fix them but trying to do so found it had no authority to do so.
    wanted to try check disk on boot but couldn't figure out how to schedule it on a non OS drive.
    so if anyone knows of a program preferable live that will reset permissions please do tell ?
    last time i just gave up the data since i had not a second 3TB drive sitting around to do a full copy to this time i had 2 extra
    so im copying threw linux now 5 hrs 35 % ... booooo....

I did finally finish btw
    Last edited by NerdLifeAMD; 09-19-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: called out for run on sentences :)
    Word Nerds!

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Lots of options:
    You can stop using windows :P
    or keep backups
    or learn to trust your network transfers
    and
    learn to use CIFS / Samba
    or install the NFS client on windows
    or convert all partitions to NTFS ( linux works with NTFS partitions - but eek! )
    or move everything to the cloud (hahahahaha)
    or ... research & testing is a good fun learning experience, so I leave you to it

but I'd never keep a single copy of anything on one disk.
    keep backups and keep them fresh.

REPAIR:
    Parted Magic Live CD can help - can deal with GPT partitions as well
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs

fsk command from linux may assist with from linux
    http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl8_fsck_.htm

This article will might help your GPT adventure more than most though:
    http://www.aztcs.org/meeting_notes/w...2010-11-03.htm
    (see lessons section at the bottom)

edit - Dude! please use the enter key now and then. I counted about 37 sentences and 4 candidates for paragraphs. It's hard to read some of your posts.
    Last edited by AMDave; 09-19-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

3 rules of real estate - location, location, location
    3 rules of computing - backup, backup, backup

I backup to other HDDs in Sydney and Canberra, I backup to 3 cloud based providers and I backup absolutely essential data to a USB flash drive.

(That's my 3 backups, check! )

Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    Lots of options:
    You can stop using windows :P
    or keep backups
    or learn to trust your network transfers
    and
    learn to use CIFS / Samba
    or install the NFS client on windows
    or convert all partitions to NTFS ( linux works with NTFS partitions - but eek! )
    or move everything to the cloud (hahahahaha)
    or ... research & testing is a good fun learning experience, so I leave you to it

but I'd never keep a single copy of anything on one disk.
    keep backups and keep them fresh.

REPAIR:
    Parted Magic Live CD can help - can deal with GPT partitions as well
    http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=programs

fsk command from linux may assist with from linux
    http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl8_fsck_.htm

This article will might help your GPT adventure more than most though:
    http://www.aztcs.org/meeting_notes/w...2010-11-03.htm
    (see lessons section at the bottom)

edit - Dude! please use the enter key now and then. I counted about 37 sentences and 4 candidates for paragraphs. It's hard to read some of your posts.
    I have busy days . I do tend to drive by rant on my phone, my bad Dave.
    Now that ive gone back to see what you were talking about . yeah that is hard for me to read and I typed it
    I did use parted magic to fix the drive. Technically they are NTFS.
    Unless Something has changed you cant just go make a primary partition on a 3 TB drive without making it GPT first?
    Last edited by NerdLifeAMD; 09-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Word Nerds!

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    3 rules of real estate - location, location, location
    3 rules of computing - backup, backup, backup

I backup to other HDDs in Sydney and Canberra, I backup to 3 cloud based providers and I backup absolutely essential data to a USB flash drive.

(That's my 3 backups, check! )
    Ironically i was moving this drive to make a backup.
    I do admit that i don't keep a very good redundancy for my media drives.
    however all my toolkit and programs i do keep in several places.
    I also make regular burns of my toolkit on to dvd.
    this particular dive has 2.6TB of movies on it.
    Not the end of the world if i lost it but definitely inconvenient to replace the data
    Word Nerds!