Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanpaku Server?

Tanpaku Server?

So what's up with Tanpaku?

Their website has a message that the server went down on August 18, and is under repair.....

Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

I guess this project is never coming back it seems.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Unfortunately it would seem that way.
    The Takeda Lab website appears to be off line

I addition to that the Yamato Lab website includes some text that "sort of" implies that they are moving on to a subsequent stage of study:

FCANAL: Structure based protein function prediction method

Genome science nowadays provides us whole sets of genetic information of living organisms and the primary amino acid sequences of such gene products are available. The three dimensional structure prediction methods from protein amino acid sequences are now going to be developed. Thus, we developed FCANAL: Structure based protein function prediction method. Then the in silico biology is going to start now, which implies the prediction series from primary sequences to three dimensional structures (TANPAKU project), to functions (qualitative (FCANAL) and quantitative (Free Energy Calculation ), and finally to systems.
    this text snippet is not dated, but the last update of that site seems to coincide with other related events:
    08/04/12:2008 version (by I. Yamato)
    Without a response from the project stakeholder directly, it is another case of "time will tell".
    Last edited by AMDave; 11-05-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I think it is incredibly unethical to just close a project like that. It is inconsiderate to the crunchers who have used their own crunching power and electricity bills to fund research...only to be dropped into the dark at the whim of the projects managers.

Projects that don't communicate with their members or leave them in the lurch like this should be boycotted or penalized in some way!
    Before BOINC: 8778 Seti WUs Crunched

I agree with you Murray.

For a project and its admin to be granted BOINC status should be a privilege. It is a fundamental flaw in the open-source nature of the BOINC software that any person with the appropriate skills and time can create a BOINC project, suck in our time and CPU power / electricity. Then on a whim they can move on and leave us diehard DC'ers in the lurch.

The admins behind Predictor@Home and APS@Home could use a swift kick to the #@(*&%, also.

Quote Originally Posted by sentient_life View Post
    The admins behind Predictor@Home and APS@Home could use a swift kick to the #@(*&%, also.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    I agree with you Murray.

For a project and its admin to be granted BOINC status should be a privilege. It is a fundamental flaw in the open-source nature of the BOINC software that any person with the appropriate skills and time can create a BOINC project, suck in our time and CPU power / electricity. Then on a whim they can move on and leave us diehard DC'ers in the lurch.
    I reckon we should have a rating system...a page with all the projects listed and then ranked on how long their WUs are, how communicative they are, how stable their WUs and clients are, whether or not they could be using this information for personal or unethical gain (i.e. earning $$$ for new primes found) and how well they treat their crunchers...that way we can warn new crunchers and focus our attention away from the projects mentioned above and Sztaki etc... that do not respect the donation we are making.

What do you all think?

Regards,
    Murray
    Last edited by Murray; 11-06-2008 at 07:03 PM.
    Before BOINC: 8778 Seti WUs Crunched

I'm with Murray

I agree, I think something like that would be useful.

Tanpaku Server?

I am late in the conversation but, I too am with Murray's idea !

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast