Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PS3Grid Clients etc...

Grrrr!
    My Q9550 box with a 9800GTX+ has decided to give UNSTABLE MACHINE message in Folding At Home now. It has tried several WUs and is now in EUE mode so no work for 24 hours. I think it got too hot as I forgot to set the fan to 100% on startup. The o/c on the CPU is making the box hot too.

Next I tried attaching to GPU Grid but as its on BOINC 6.2.19 it is not recognized. I have to wait until its finished its cached Geneticlife At Home tasks and then try to update BOINC. Question is which version?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    I've been watching the threads on the cpu/gpu contention thing with the grid boinc client. I'm thinking on buying this monster GPU shortly to add to the fray.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130402

Ah yes... the old dual card in a card trick as Maxwell Smart would put it.

Tis definitely a nice price. And the gpu's rock no matter what project you run them on. I got in a tad bit of a hurry to enjoy the fruits of gpu crunching, and non of the local outlets had one of those puppies. So I only got half of it, a 9800GT. It was my initial learning experience, and has turned me into a believer!!! I have seen the light. You buy that little hummer and you will have crossed a threshold. As that book and movie put it, absolute power corrupts and it will do that to you. Guaranteed. Once you get it working anyway. LOL And then your beady little eyes and sweaty palms will be busy looking for the next fix... and then you'll procrastinate.... and you'll talk yourself into it cause you just can't help it, and you'll go out and get another one. and... and ...

I'd go with 6.3.21. Its as stable as it gets (still has the video mem prob).

The newer clients have scheduling and cpu usage issues.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

A quick scan of the project forum shows the Devs are still having 'issues' with the client (cpu usage, wu feeding to clients, etc..). But wu's are being completed, and Teams are advancing.

But it looks like 6.4.2 is the client to be running, if you are having problems. To run this client, they suggest that you do a project 'reset' BEFORE trying to get any wu's.

I haven't made the client change yet, as I am still on RC5. But the new year will find me back on GPUgrid, and more in touch with whats going on.

**The clients are still *BETA*, so be careful.

Well, It's the new year, and I'm back. I just spent 45 minutes searching through the GPUgrid forum trying to figure out which BOINC version is working the best...lol. And as this project is still in BETA, I urge caution.

The Boinc version is still system / hardware dependant. Running Vista, Win32, Win64, Linux32, Linux64 and even different GPU's seem to all have their own problems.

Right now all I have running is a Linux64 box. It's running Boinc 6.3.21 / 177.8X driver. I plan on upgrading to the Boinc 6.5.0 maybe today. But I am getting work on 6.3.21 (some are not).

I'll try to help with some timely posts about the other systems.

I just bought a couple of: MSI N9800GT 512OC GeForce 9800 GT 512mb cards. I think I'll run grid on them under ubuntu when they arrive. If got them for 114.00 each at Newegg. Not a bad deal.

185.20 beta drivers released

Fudzilla report that Nvidia 185.20 beta drivers are now available for Win XP (32/64), Vista (32/64) and Windows 7.

I don't have a warm fuzzy about the problems they are having right now. I'm sticking with 6.3.21, until they get the WU feeder problem worked out. Just my choice. I am getting wu's, but I am doing it manually, just like everyone else.

There is still a WU feeder problem with the server.

Everyone (does not matter which OS or Client you have) is still having to Manually request WU's to keep their GPU's from starving.....

Linux64 still uses less CPU cycles, 1-2%.... than windows....
    Last edited by Bender10; 01-06-2009 at 01:24 AM.

Did the GPUGrid tasks get bigger or harder to crunch recently? Or maybe my 8800GT is getting tired and needs a rest.

I had one that crunched for ~11 hours and was at 82% complete and I got a message it was time expired and I might not get any points for it, so I aborted it and switched over to Folding.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast