Thread: Waste of time

Waste of time

I tried some Sztaki tasks. They pretend to take 55 minutes on a CD1.66GHz laptop but I aborted them after 48 hours and only 25% completed.

The Admin - Adam - put out some excuse that (1) the length of time taken is hard to predict [yeah sure buddy its a Maths project] (2) he has done nothing in more than a month to cure the Time Debt his project's tasks incur on BOINC so that other projects get hampered.

Avoid this project at all costs.

I'd agree. I have 58K pending there and it has been like that for almost a month...

Yes... Everyone should avoid that project... And that has nothing to do with me wanting to stay in 1st...

Sztaki - There is Hope afterall

There is life at this project, not much but at least the admins are working to reduce our frustration. Listed below is a recent conversations with a link:
    http://dist2.ist.tugraz.at/sudoku/fo...ead.php?id=156

Dated June 18th, 2009
    Only two work units are still open, and they run since three months on the
    fastest computer of our institute, which is an i7 940, 3 GHz. From the debug
    output we know that they are really running, and here is an estimation on
    their progress:

A1314153443_12.CHK: 76.4072 % done.
    A1314153461_12.CHK: 85.5941 % done.

In about one month we will know if there is a solution for 12 givens.

As to the future of the project: Even with Boinc an exhaustive search for
    13,14,15 and 16 givens is way too time-consuming. Therefore Oswin wants to modify the software such that it searches for a solution in a subset of the possible configurations of 16 givens.

Best
    Bernhard

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Nflight, I think you're referencing a different project, Soduku, not SZTAKI.

Quote Originally Posted by sentient_life View Post
    Nflight, I think you're referencing a different project, Soduku, not SZTAKI.
    Wow your right, ok where did I leave my brain functions when I posted that reference ~! Sorry everyone who reads this there is an error here.!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...