Thread: Phenom vs C2D/Q Credits

Phenom vs C2D/Q Credits

since none of my availble hardware seems to support ESXi, i'm thinking of doing a Q6600 for a router/server/DC (with the spare cycles) box... it also (MIGHT) use less power than a similarly clocked Phenom.

i do not OC (tho i will likely underclock/volt in the summer and kill DC in the hottest months). i do not use "optimized clients".

i run World Community Grid, Rosetta, Cosmology (may be just a short run), and the odd other project or three...

how does a Phenom at 2.6gHz compare to Core2Quad at 2.6 in work done and credits given? (preferrably on those projects) ...any one have some numbers for this question?

phenom

Yeah, does anyone have a phenom 9950 yet? I just found out that my old mb will take one (GA-M55SLI-S4)! I can go from a x2 3600 to a x4 9950! Then I can go from a sempron 2800 to the x2 3600! At this point I won't oc it much. I even have an extra 2GB of memory to put in. I am EXCITED!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod Vandehey View Post
    Yeah, does anyone have a phenom 9950 yet? I just found out that my old mb will take one (GA-M55SLI-S4)! I can go from a x2 3600 to a x4 9950! Then I can go from a sempron 2800 to the x2 3600! At this point I won't oc it much. I even have an extra 2GB of memory to put in. I am EXCITED!
    my friend who throws lan parties has one and loves it.

and this comparison totally puts getting an i7 inter perspective if you have the current hardware that will support a 9950... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...m,2057-11.html

adding a 9950 to existing hardware is DEFINITELY less than 40% the cost of getting an x58 and new memory. tho, if you could get an i7 mobo with 90-95% the performance of x58 boards for ~$80, i'd likely be on it immediately (just get 3x512mb sticks .. you don't need THAT much for DCing)