Thread: Windows 7 & Boinc

Windows 7 & Boinc

Hey folks!
    Don't know if anyone else has had the opportunity to try the Windows 7 Pre-release but I am doing so right now. Installed Latest version of Boinc and have it happily crunching SETI@home & Orbit@home.

Will try and keep posted how well it goes.

I would love to try out Windows 7, but I'm not a part of the development community. Is there some other way to get a copy?

I think you can download it direct from the Windows 7 page , it is a 30 day trial and goes on top of Vista. Am I right ??

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

well if it is stable, and doesn't do all the crap associated with vista, MS could be sitting on a small gold mine if they'd just sell a permanent pre-release version of it and suport it with security updates. Might help them live past vista cause there's a lot of people out there that are totally avoiding MS now because of vista.... But then MS has never been accused of looking past their unsustainable business model fashioned on everyone just having unlimited bucks to put into their internet system every year.

Quote Originally Posted by sentient_life View Post
    I would love to try out Windows 7, but I'm not a part of the development community. Is there some other way to get a copy?
    Can get it over at PirateBay.com...the torrent anyway to DL...or so I've been told...

Well it's been running stable all weekend, which is more than I can say for my Vista boxes.
    In doing some digging in it tho it REALLY looks like they just dressed Vista with a newer UI and fixed a couple of the stability issues. Not getting the errors in the server logs I get with Vista.
    CPU and memory usage look nearly identical to Vista...(read bloated as hell). I'd have to say we are still dealing with the old Windows kernal and not a new one.

Windows7 .. emm ... I hoped that it will be the same shit OS as Vista and so many people will change to GNU/Linux but what you all say sounds not so.

Is there a legal way to download it (without being dev of it)?
    Linux is like a wigwam. No windows. No gates. Apache inside. http://debian.org

legit keys courtesy of /.

64-bit
    7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
    RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
    482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M
    D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9
    JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4

32-bit:
    4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH
    QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7
    6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
    GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY
    TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAdder View Post
    I think you can download it direct from the Windows 7 page , it is a 30 day trial and goes on top of Vista. Am I right ??
    you can, but it's probably best to install fresh

it's good til aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by txt.file View Post
    Windows7 .. emm ... I hoped that it will be the same shit OS as Vista and so many people will change to GNU/Linux but what you all say sounds not so.

Is there a legal way to download it (without being dev of it)?
    "Windows is crap! where can i try the new one?" is how i read that. X)

TBH, it really should be Windows 6.1 IMO
    Last edited by plonk420; 01-12-2009 at 02:11 AM.