Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nehalem...

Nehalem...

anyone have one yet, or know any crunchers with one yet?

from what i gatherered, Hyperthreading FINALLY doesn't suck. it seems to help in 7 or 8 out of 10 situations. are DC calculations "compact" enough that HT wouldn't help them? or is that hard to determine?

i'll likely bite when boards hit under $140 and chips hit closer to $300... :/

I'm watching them closely also. I'd like to have one when some prices get a little better. Its the cost of the DDR3 3 way memory and the boards that really need to drop at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by plonk420 View Post
    anyone have one yet, or know any crunchers with one yet?

from what i gatherered, Hyperthreading FINALLY doesn't suck. it seems to help in 7 or 8 out of 10 situations. are DC calculations "compact" enough that HT wouldn't help them? or is that hard to determine?

i'll likely bite when boards hit under $140 and chips hit closer to $300... :/
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=206572

I'm getting tempted for nehalems... (if i could get the money together...) where the hell is amd with their 8 core chip that fits am2+ boards and eats intels for breakfast?

that's not likely to happen any time soon with any chip of theirs that we can afford unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    that's not likely to happen any time soon with any chip of theirs that we can afford unfortunately.
    yeah.... sad to say, but I fear it is quite true. AMD is pricing themselves right out of my budget limitations.

I didn't think AMD was expensive. I believe I did see an Intel I7 priced at $1059. I can't imagine what you will see for Intel prices if AMD doesn't make it. They may not have the fastest chip in the market at the moment, but the desktop chips they have seem to be priced fairly. You can get a phenom 9850 for less then a q6600 at the moment. In the benchmarks those 2 seem to be approximately the same (3dmark CPU). I'm waiting for some better chips from AMD at the moment to upgrade my pharm. How many of us would be able to afford the pharms we have if AMD wasn't giving Intel some competition?
    Last edited by Jason1478963; 11-21-2008 at 08:39 AM.

the problem is they aren't giving enough competition. don't get me wrong, all my systems are AMD powered and I plan to keep it that way.

yes, competition is a good thing, good for us. I just hope they can hang in the game for the long term and give Intel a reason to keep prices down.

i can't tell if just seti@home is offering an abnormally low amount of points or if ALL BOINC projects are...

http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_ho...=bo&id=4703610

(hyperthreading enabled)

i thought i was hearing of 20k-30k points a day from either r@h, wcg, or f@h .. can't remember which...

(source thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...&enterthread=y )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast