View Poll Results: Do you think distributed computing projects will cure cancer?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Likely

5 35.71%
  • 1% possibility it will cure or at least contribute to a cure

7 50.00%
  • 0.01% possibility it will cure or at least contribute to a cure

1 7.14%
  • Probably not

1 7.14%

Thread: Medical Crunchers: Will DC cure cancer?

Medical Crunchers: Will DC cure cancer?

do you think distributed computing projects will cure cancer?

i started with Easynews (years after i lost my mom to cancer) because i got free site credits...

i just lost my dad this year to cancer as well. i was doing DC with that inkling of a hope that it would help, but i expected nothing. now i crunch with that miniscule hope that hopefully my genetically doomed ass might be helped by it, but again, i don't have TOO much hope in it...

any other people have opinions on the effectiveness of our number crunching?
    Last edited by plonk420; 11-20-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Medical Crunchers: Will DC cure cancer?

Over the duration of a lifetime I have lost 3 best friends to leukemia. One when I was just 12 years old, another when I was 26, and another when I was 38. That is a lot of life to perish, like all of them were like brothers to me.

I started with crunching predictor hoping that that project alone was the cure. Unfortunately overtime I found that all of them contribute to the mindset of altering ones outlook on life in general. We all contribute some form of new angle on approach to accomplishing a task. We may not be directly involved in anyone project but we have certainly shown the world that numbers of concerned citizens can accomplish great things when given the chance. This chance to honor our lost loved ones or friends lost to dreadful diseases.

We put together out time and we accomplish crunching material that is sometimes off the beaten path of our focus yet we have shown that we the unique species of Human. A species that defies the grouping of we all fit into one segment of operation. Each one of us tries so hard to accomplish a goal set up by millions of other segments of operation. We overlap each other, and that in my mind seems to be the helping us all accomplish great things including DCing.

I think I need a drink after writing that, even I understand it !

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

I lost my father to leukemia when I was 12... I do really hope this dc work we do has some effect and it's not all wasted .....

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

i prefer to spend money on power DCing rather than throw money at those CANCER AWARENESS MONTH things... i wrote more, but i'll leave it at this ;p

edit: thanks for your posts thus far. though not under the best circumstances, good to hear all of your opinions (and hope to hear more!)
    Last edited by plonk420; 11-21-2008 at 08:21 AM.

I sure hope we can find a cure. I believe the research that is being done has to be helping us find better treatments. I mostly run WCG help conquer cancer in the hopes that the research helps with better treatments or finds a cure. I believe they mentioned they have more cancer research projects coming.

I just read what you wrote, and I can say It could not be more eloquent. Each and everyone of us, the few that have chosen to participate in this proyects should be proud that in our own way we are contributing the the betterment of mankind.
    Otherwise there will be no reason to do the little we do.