Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rc5

Rc5

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bender10 View Post
    Hey Brucifer. Did you get your GPU on the air yet?
    No, been loaded down with work to get finished. Hopefully will get back to playing around with it this Sunday.

Yes, it has 2 cards in 1 inclosure, and it mounts in 1 pcie slot.

I switched over so that I am only running rc5 (sharing with ps3grid) on 1 of the cards to see how that does. The other card is running just ps3grid.
    Just makes you want to run out and buy a Tessla Card doesn't it??? Then you'd be the really Big Dog!!!!

Hey Brucifer. Did you get your GPU on the air yet?
    Nope.... not a happy camper. Tried loading Kunbutu 64 8.04, and it loads okay, recognizes that there is an nvida card that needs the proprietary driver. So then we go to activate the drive and the only thing the unbuntu wants to recognize is a vesa card with shit resolution, like 640x480... This is with a plug & play high res flat screen, etc. So dicked around with it for quite a while. Just doesn't care to play with the card. With the gnome, it recognized the card, said it needed updated drivers, got those loaded them, and then it went back to crap resolution again. This is with the amd9850 on a gigabyte mb, 6 gigs ram in the system blah blah. Don't like gnome, don't like ubuntu. So anyway gotta get on the road again so just loaded up opensuse and am back crunching on ogr.

Seriously thinking about just using the card for a rock and seeing how many pieces it will fly into when it falls back to mother earth.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    8.04 requires you to manually load the 17x.x driver or the 18x.x driver
    or
    use the Envy graphics driver tool.

I remember that the developer said he was going to do a backport of 17x.x to Hardy through Envy.
    I don't know if he pulled that out of the hat yet.

The 17x.x driver is integrated to Ibex 8.10, but 18x.x is not there yet. Still in testing.

You need one of these 2 hardware drivers to get that card to work properly.
    Last edited by AMDave; 12-06-2008 at 01:09 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I did not mess around with doing automated driver installs (the repositories are not cutting edge for nvidia drivers), as that does not really work to get you the cuda driver.... I did a manual d/l from nvidia, and did the manual install...

Some had luck with envy, some did not. Try manual install.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Auto-install on Ibex 8.10 with 177 driver for a 9600GT GPU (with all 4 CPU cores at 100% on BOINC) nets me:

[Dec 06 04:05:34 UTC] RC5-72: using core #0 (CUDA 1-pipe).
    [Dec 06 04:05:54 UTC] RC5-72: Benchmark for core #0 (CUDA 1-pipe)
    0.00:00:16.97 [170,355,398 keys/sec]
    [Dec 06 04:05:54 UTC] RC5-72: using core #1 (CUDA 2-pipe).
    [Dec 06 04:06:13 UTC] RC5-72: Benchmark for core #1 (CUDA 2-pipe)
    0.00:00:16.93 [150,560,232 keys/sec]
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Now why would your card show 2 cores..??

Nevermind, so does my 8800GS
    Last edited by Bender10; 12-06-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Brain spasm.....

Amazing, just phu&*$g amazing.... on a couple of accounts.... first that it's now working, and secondly that they work so damn fast. Just rather fixating sitting here watching the gpu crunch those rc5 units. Thankyou to both AMDave and Bender10 for your help, I really appreciate it! I remember back to those years of watching the K5's crunching away on this and how long it took to accumulate any points. Now one of these gpu cards just hammers through them doing more work in a few hours than the whole farm did in a day.

It's going to be interesting to watch the distributed.net stats collation page on the breakdown of contribution by processor types.

So anyway, it's going on unbuntu 8.10, with the 177 driver on a 9800GT card. The card cost me $149 (before tax) at the local Best Buy. I stuffed it in the Phenom 9850BE system, using GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard with 4gigs ram and an Antec Earthwatts 650w P/S.

It's also crunching ogr-26 on 3 cores, and I'm leaving one core open to take care of housework and feeding the gpu.

edit: looks like it's running through 24 units every 6 minutes plus the 3 ogr cores grinding.
    Last edited by Brucifer; 12-06-2008 at 08:40 PM.

I'm glad you got it up and running Brucifer.

I had a little heartburn lastnight, trying to get another *nix box on the air, #@$&^%@#!! pain in the whosit. Not really *nix fault. The new MB would not post...so I tore it apart and re-assembled it without the case, same prob. It turned out to be a bad nic.

Anyway, Glad your GPU is working now.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast