Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rc5

ah yes........ the heartburn..... I know it well.

I guess though that we have to go through it so that we know how to appreciate it when things work like they should.

Now I just need to go get another Antec 650w p/s and find one of those dual cards.....

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender10 View Post
    Now why would your card show 2 cores..??

Nevermind, so does my 8800GS
    "core" in this context refers to the optimised client programs in the dnetc client program, not the physical GPU-core.

You will notice in my bench that the 2nd "core" uses 2 "pipes" (think of them as thread launchers) and is slower on my GPU, because there is only 1 GPU-core.

On startup, the dnetc client checks which of its optimised "cores" will run fastest on the available hardware and then applies that "core" to the GPU.

Just mildly confusing.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Oh, now I gets it..Thanks.

I do remember seeing the different selections in the -config area.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

So what's the plan here regarding rc5 if anything? Just experimenting and the going back to ps3grid or whatever?

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    I recon I'll stick with this and grab some ranks while I can esp. now you are chasing me

/ed -
    albeit on your other account
    merge them and I'll be chasing you
    - ed/
    Last edited by AMDave; 12-07-2008 at 06:09 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by AMDave View Post
    I recon I'll stick with this and grab some ranks while I can esp. now you are chasing me

/ed -
    albeit on your other account
    merge them and I'll be chasing you
    - ed/
    I can't merge them. The brucifer_ one is at the max they allow as I sucked some other accounts into that one as the years have gone by. But it's at a higher project ranking than the other one. But it would be fun to get the team up a bit in position ranking.

Edit: AMD_Users was at #612 and moved up to #609 after yesterday's stats run. So I guess the slow climb has started. Now if Bender10 will keep adding to it....
    Last edited by Brucifer; 12-07-2008 at 06:31 AM.

I planned on running this full on (decided last night) at least til next year. then re-evaluate...
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

So I'm going to lose my number one spot eventually unless I get a new graphics card to keep up with you guys.

Let's see what Santa brings........
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Quote Originally Posted by Ototero View Post
    So I'm going to lose my number one spot eventually unless I get a new graphics card to keep up with you guys.

Let's see what Santa brings........

Alas my friend..... You need to tell Santa's helper that she... errr ahhhh that Santa's helper would be wise to bring you at least a couple of them....

Other solutions would be that we could start a new dnet team like the AMD_Users GPU Team, or something along those lines. Why? Cause the utter stark reality is that the GPU's walk over the rest of the stuff, even the PS3's. And the improvements in them will just keep coming. And it is rather unsportsmanlike to put the regular cpu crunchers competing against the GPU's... And that way too, Mr. Team Stats could keep his #1 and my conscience would feel better...

edit: Well, retract the comment about the PS3's as Ironbits says he's pulling close to 9,000 out of each PS3. So it takes a 9800GX2 or better to whop a PS3.
    Last edited by Brucifer; 12-08-2008 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bender10 View Post
    I planned on running this full on (decided last night) at least til next year. then re-evaluate...
    You wouldn't wimp out on us and call 2009 "next year would you, cause it's just around the corner...

2010 would be more "sporting" LOL

On the serious side though, this little old gpu card has really gotten my brain turning and churning. Gives a good way to keep active at crunching at something without having to feed a whole herd of systems. I was looking at the Christmas sales going on, and I can pick up another 9800GT/OC for the 149 (reg 189) and an Antec Earthwatt 650 for $89. So for a bit over a couple hundred (less than a cheapie m/b and q6600 chip) I can turn a plain jane 60w C2D system I have just sitting here into another rocket ship.... and then shut down the other X2's and save electricity and just keep the quads running on ogr.

But I've really been thinking about just putting a rush on rc5, which would be a fun thing if there were some others that were into the game too.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast