Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 Million in Prime Grid

Is it possible to run both CPU and GPU? I can't seem to get it working together. Maybe the XML file is forcing BOINC to just use the GPU for Primegrid?

Look under "Account" for the "PrimeGrid Preferences", but by the look of your badges I see that you already have worked at the CPU WUs! 11 for CPU WUs (all Bronze), 1 GPU for PPS Sieve (gold)

Look out for the default settings in client_state.xml. PrimeGrid reserves 0.7 (ish) CPUs to support each GPU. Consequently, you can quickly find all of you CPU cores assigned to supporting your GPU(s) - if you don't take charge!!!!

How many cores do you have, and how many GPUs do you have?

Hi Area 51,

The support PrimeGrid reserves depends on your CPU, CUDA Version, driver version and/or GPU. WIth me it was 0.67 (C2Q8200, GTX260, Cuda 3.1, driver 25896) and is now 0.17 (C2Q8200, GTX260, Cuda 3.2, driver 26099). There is continiously one GPU PPS PrimeGrid process going on and four CPU Primegrid and/or Leiden, Einstein, Seti, etc.
    My Ati cards sadly have no OpenCL support, so cannot contribute to PrimeGrid (HD 3850 and HD 3870), but do their best at Collatz and MilkyWay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Hi Area 51,

The support PrimeGrid reserves depends on your CPU, CUDA Version, driver version and/or GPU. WIth me it was 0.67 (C2Q8200, GTX260, Cuda 3.1, driver 25896) and is now 0.17 (C2Q8200, GTX260, Cuda 3.2, driver 26099). There is continiously one GPU PPS PrimeGrid process going on and four CPU Primegrid and/or Leiden, Einstein, Seti, etc.
    My Ati cards sadly have no OpenCL support, so cannot contribute to PrimeGrid (HD 3850 and HD 3870), but do their best at Collatz and MilkyWay.
    I stand corrected on the precise numeric allocation. The point I was headed towards was simply that a portion of CPU resources will be dedicated to supporting the GPU - and that the default MAY be a little generous, resulting in the possibility of all CPU resources being allocated to support the GPU(s) - hence the question regarding how many cores and GPUs are in use.....

they recently changed the CPU hogging since it didn't actually need it to feed the GPUs, so now I have 3 cuda's running along with four others on a quad core.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Broer View Post
    Look under "Account" for the "PrimeGrid Preferences", but by the look of your badges I see that you already have worked at the CPU WUs! 11 for CPU WUs (all Bronze), 1 GPU for PPS Sieve (gold)
    I have it set to use the CPU and ATI GPU. The BOINC logs say it's only requesting GPU work. I'm wondering if it's the "app_info.xml" I had to download from the Primegrid forums to crunch with my 4870, otherwise it would have a computation error at the start of the WU. Perhaps it's forcing Primegrid to only use the GPU?

EDIT: As a test, I renamed the app_info.xml and restarted BOINC. It looks like my ATI work is continuing to be crunched, and BOINC is downloading CPU work. Looks like I'm set for the challenge with my 4 cores and 4870.
    Last edited by gamer007; 12-18-2010 at 09:44 AM.

It appears BOINC stopped getting GPU work from PrimeGrid. Everything's still the way it is. BOINC is confusing when it comes to setting up GPU and CPU for one project.

I have no troubles doing PPS Sieve (both GPU and CPU), Cullen LLR, Woodall LLR, 321 LLR, PSP LLR TRP Sieve and Cullen/Woodall Sieve along each other on a Quad machine
    Also note that depending on your hardware you may receive a message like:

20-12-2010 22:48:16 PrimeGrid Requesting new tasks for GPU
    20-12-2010 22:48:17 PrimeGrid Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
    20-12-2010 22:48:17 PrimeGrid Message from server: No work sent
    20-12-2010 22:48:17 PrimeGrid Message from server: This computer has reached a limit on tasks in progress

Where the limit in case of PPS Sieve is most probably determined by your GPU, as with MilkyWay.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 12-20-2010 at 09:06 PM.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    whoo =o
    watch out watch out there's a PCZ about!!!

currently cranking over 4 million per day for around 24 million this week already
    came from rank oh say about N'thousand or so with squat-all points and is now in 52nd for the whole project

Just think of him as an alpha-particle that just passed right through the whole planet and then passed through you on the way to the other side of the unknown universe!
    heh heh

No sonic boom.
    Just a 6th dimension disturbance ripple emanating through the 7th dimension
    ;)

ruby in 3 days. wish i could do that. sigh.

vaughan, I guess he'll be in your region in about 8 days.
    he was accelerating but it looks like one of the battle-cruisers has had some engine trouble from yesterday
    maybe we can all catch up hahahaha

Fantastic to see some good old FDC competition again.
    Last edited by AMDave; 12-21-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast