Thread: Need Assistance with USB Mem or Flash Mem

Need Assistance with USB Mem or Flash Mem

First let me say I've been honor to be part of this group of crubcher junkies and have enjoy my membership , also I like to ask a bit of forgiveness for not been a more active participant.

To ALL--- HAPPY XMAS AND A VERY GOOD NEW YEAR. I Know that many of you guys will be impacted in the comming month with the finacial crisis, that this Pres. have put us thru! But I think it has been not only his fault but all of us, (Humanity) we have taken for granted all that we have and all that is produce as a needed thing of life. Hope that the impact would be as fast and as painless as possible.

Now to the porpouse of this msg.

I have an old Compaq Presario 700 with 512ran a 60 gig HD(upgrated) a S3 video on board. I have connected to it a card reader and with a 2gig mem card and a 4 gig USB.
    Mi question is ( been new to Linux) is there any way or a special scrip were I can use either one of those memory to behave as with windows Vista were you casn use the usb or the flash and have it set as part of your system memory.
    You know this is a very good little laptop, and is about 9 yrs old but it has never seen a tech other than to change the original battery and to upgrade its original 30 gig HD for a 60 gig Hd about 4 yrs ago. Now with linux it has new life and is working perfect.
    But been an olders model and with a speed of only 1.2 and with such small memory I find it a bit slow with all the new programs and even with boinc. So how can I write a scrip or if there any way that you guys can assist. On this matter.

Again, Thank you and have a great XMAS at the side of your family, which is what matter most.

i dont know the exact answer but i know someone that is running a computer on ubuntu to enable comp to run boinc using a 4gb usb pen drive so in short it is possible but i dont know how lol

Thanks, I heard also about it, but have search the Ubuntu site and can't find info on how to use the mem stick as a ram mem. I can use it as a cache but it is not what I'm searching for. I like to use it as ram

next time i talk to him i will ask

i am i speaking to my friend he says at best you will be able to use usb as swap drive not ram or atleast that he is not aware of (and i believe he would know )

or are you referring to ready boost on vista? which is kinda like using VM/swap file on windows xp ?

USB Help

No I was reffering to the use of the USB stick as additional ram for an old laptop using ubuntu . I read some where that it is posible, I search the Linux site but no, luck finding info. only as a swap mem. instead of the HD.

Well I'll continue searching!