Thread: Microsoft removes Vista "Kill Switch"

Microsoft removes "Kill Switch"

Here's an interesting little blurb. Is Microsoft backing off on Piracy Enforcment??

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...d=nl_IWK_daily

Maybe, Since people are "NOT Pirating" Vista in record numbers!!
    Last edited by Bender10; 12-05-2007 at 11:29 AM.
    Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

Microsoft removes Vista "Kill Switch"

Thats a difficult selection in how do I reply to that statement. I have purchased all my software from Windows through authorized dealers. My main system even has the COA on the side staring me in my face saying it is a OEM Product of Windows. Yet that Product Key authorizing me unlimited access to updates changed over time and Windows now wants me to purchase another XP license. I am sorry, but this is just too much. I would appreciate a product Key that once purchased stays with me for the life of the product. I will not repurchase another license just to satisfy someone's need for more income, Take that Billy Bob Gates!

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

well, in vista, after a while of not authenticating it, doesn't it disable any and all network devices?

i'm not a genius, nor do i claim to be but..... if you need an internet connection to authenticate a product and that same product has counter measures that disable any network connections if it isn't authenticated..... wouldn't that literally leave you up shit creek? most of the n00bs i know always decline any kind of authentication because they don't know what it means. so, isn't it conceivable that a user with a 100% legitimate vista key be locked out from authenticating their product?

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by polluxmr2 View Post
    so, isn't it conceivable that a user with a 100% legitimate vista key be locked out from authenticating their product?
    Shoot they do that all the time anyway with Vista
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

Half my computers run Linux. And just run, run and keep on running. And the os didn't cost me anything but a CD that I burned of the iso. How sweet it is....

re-purchase another XP license??? To put that in perspective, then that isn't any different than Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc., letting you know that if you don't repurchase your car you already paid for that they will "kill" it... Or how about you buy a "pre-owned" car, complete with warranty paperwork and purchase order/load paperwork, and then license it and pay the sales tax and so on. And for one reason or another you take it to the dealer to get some warranty work done on it, and bingo, they say they don't recognize the sale and your "claimed" ownership, so they void it and push the magic button that kills the chip in the vehicle's on-board computer... and of course the only thing that will get it running again is a brand spanking new code key from the manufacturer. Of course in this politically correct world now, that isn't called theft, why they are just re-licensing your vehicle.............

There is a whole lodestone of wealth in this business model for states, counties, and cities......... There you are, taking a dump, you reach for the handle and flush.... well well well. No flushie! You then get a call from the city utilities department letting you know that the "lease" on your sewer line hookup that was purchased years prior has expired. And oh yeah, they sent out a new user license to you. Of course you don't get the luxury of getting a chance to agree to it or not. It's just imposed on you, Sorta like, tough sh*t. And sh*t is about what I think of the whole business model as it has morphed into it's present state.

I remember that before windows, I had a life. I went fishing, camping, played ball, went on family and company picnics in the park and on and on. The point is there was plenty of other stuff to do, and it sure as hell didn't cost me what this M$ computing world costs. Who needs it really? M$ has reached the point in their software costs that for many businesses and people, they are better off going back to the telephone for talking to people, using an adding machine/calculator that only costs pennies compared to the spreadsheet software, and hiring real live people at today's depressed wages to type letters, etc., cause the fees and licensing costs for the software use/renewal/upgrade has gotten ridiculously out of line.

And M$ hasn't yet figured out what keeps linux alive???? And even worse yet, they really think that if they can kill off linux that they can recognize new sales of Vista from all those ex-linux users?????????

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by LeBo View Post
    Half my computers run Linux. And just run, run and keep on running. And the os didn't cost me anything but a CD that I burned of the iso. How sweet it is....
    I am with you LeBo!
    Except I am now over 2/3rds ;-) And I downloaded and did network installs via https on my LAN so I didn't even have to burn the ISO One of the boxes was a Vista-OEM that BSoD's in 30 minutes from being turned on and was switched to linux within minutes after that and has never failed once since then. It's so good that I made it my main workstation (no, not Ubuntu before you ask).
    Last edited by AMDave; 12-08-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

Yet that Product Key authorizing me unlimited access to updates changed over time and Windows now wants me to purchase another XP license.
    I've never had to do that even though my Product Key's have changed too over time. I've used the same XP Pro Cd on 4 or 5 different Pc's more than once, all I've ever had to do is call the Authorization Center and request a new Authorization Code and they have always gave it to me.

Heck, I've used the same XP Pro 64-Bit Cd that I picked up for about $40 a year or so ago to update all of my Quad Core Pc's to 64-Bit OS, I had to call in about 7 or 8 times but I always got the Authorization from the Center ...

Microsoft removes Vista "Kill Switch"

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

At least the perception is that a street hooker at least tries to please the customer........... can't say that for M$. They just have a MAJOR credibility problem.