Thread: GA-MA 770DS3 (rev 2) 1066 Memory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

GA-MA 770DS3 (rev 2) 1066 Memory

Hi, having just upgraded to the above board I find that I am unable too get my Ballistic Tracer DDR2 PC2-8500 to go above 800. I am using an AMD 64X2 Duel 6400+ Black Edition CPU. AMD Tech support tell me that the CPU should work in this board with the Ram at 1066. Gigabyte Tech Support say only 800,and the Gigabyte on sight "specs" of this CPU only go up to 800. I have noticed that the ram voltage on this board is only 1.8Volts and the ram itself says 2.2 Volts. Any "low tech" help would be greatly appreciated. Pop

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I looked up the board on the net and found a couple of things that may help...

"DDR2 1066 is supported with combination of AM2+ processors and DDR2 1066 memory modules"
    - Is the CPU really AM2+? I know that most Athlon X2's are AM2 (not AM2+), but there were some newer ones based on Phenom. I couldn't find concrete info on the net about this one in particular. In any case, if your CPU is not AM2+ you can't get 1066 MHz.

"Note: Due to AMD AM2+ CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is only supported by 1 dimm per channel."
    - In this case, if you have 2 memory modules, you have to place them in separate channels apart from each other. Look at the colors of the sockets on the mainboard, they should have 2 distinct colors. You should place one memory module on 1 socket of each color only. (leaving one socket of each color empty)
    Last edited by NeoGen; 12-22-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Yep I agree with NeoGen. The X2 6400 is AM2 not AM2+ so 800 is the limit.

from what i understand you need to have a socket am2+ cpu for ram to be able to run at 1066mhz other wise you will be running at 800mhz and with a socket am2+ cpu you will more then likely have to change from JDEC to EPP settings for ram in bios (if you have that setting, i am still waiting for that setting to become available on my phenom mobo (msi-k9a2-cf))
    Last edited by Danish Dynamite; 12-22-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: i guess i need to type a bit faster lol

Thanks lads, it seems that I will have to strip my CPU out to find out just what it is, numbers etc. I certainly thought that it was AM2+ and still do but the numbers will confirm. As for "JDEC, EPP to play around with these I will have to upgrade my knowledge of the computer internals first. The Ram Modules have been tried in all permutations, and all show up correctly as two 2gb of ram but only 800 speed. Thanks to you all for help. Pop

only dual cores that are AM2+ and use 1066 ram are the new 7000 series, everything 6400 and lower is AM2 and 800 max.