Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Network Storage

Home Network Storage

I have been searching for an inexpensive (cheep??) solution for my file storage needs. This is most definetly a weird market, ie Network Attached Storage. There are new Home Network 'boxes' being fielded by everyone (it seems).

Netgear, Iomega, LaCie, Buffalo, D-Link, Apple.....These solutions provide varying levels of options and services, and with that comes varying levels of heartburn. Due to customer support, application flaws and of course hardware problems (some units are picky about which HD's they will recognize...).

Plus, there is also the solution of building your own (which I did last year with FreeNAS), which might be the best solution. That way you would have exactly what you want..

In a nutshell. I wanted a basic file server with: Raid-1, gigabit connectivity, easy setup, sata drives, allow for critical file backups, usable by all my OS's (w2k, xp, *nix), small footprint (easy), low power (also easy) and low cost.

I settled on a D-Link DNS-321 (This is a scaled down version of their DNS-323). The 321 uses a slower cpu (400mhz vs 500), does not have print server ability and will not work with bit-torrent. I can live with that.

Anyway, I paid $100 for the enclosure, and ~$170 for 3 - 320 gig sata's. I know, I know, why so small with the HD's you are wondering... I was trying to keep the price down (and buy what I hoped were solid HD's), and my old server only had 80 gig of storage anyway. Plus, I am not planning on storing A/V on the NAS. So, to get back to it.... I bought 3 HD's so I could have a spare on hand.

After deciding on this NAS, I flipped through some forums (again) and reviewed my notes. It seemed that some owners had problems getting the 321 to be recognized on their network (the problem looked like the setup software..). There are also some 'permissions' issues (they get lost, go missing etc). Since there are only 2 people using this, permissions are a moot point for me. So when I set my 321 up, I ignored the setup CD provided, and went straight for the ip address of the 321. Found it, connected through the web interface, and began to set it up.

The setup (via web interface) and configuration for RAID-1 was easy and flawless (some people reported problems here also. I still think it's the setup software...which I did not use). I copied a bunch of files from my 'old' server to the 321. Then I did a controlled 'shutdown' of the 321, replaced one of the HD's with the spare. I powered up the 321 and it re-configured itself for RAID-1. Checking the web interface showed a successful RAID-1 configuration, and all files were secure.

This solution may not be for everyone. And when buying 'off the shelf', you have to take what you get. But, for my needs, this is working out fine so far....

Logic is the art of being wrong with confidence.

sounds like you have a nice setup there

Sounds good, as it's really what works for you that is important. Myself I use a few Seagate B drives on different systems, and tar the stuff I want backed up and shoot it off to three different drives, so I have multiple copies online in case a drive bites the dust. I used to have a pretty elaborate setup back in my working days but don't need that now. Now it's all just playing.

I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, 1 tera B. It holds 2 * 512 gigs mirrored. Easily mapped across the network. I find it a tad slow. I image a drive then copy that to the NAS. And as it as auto mirrored, I can deleted the original when it's copied.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

oh snap i just remembered i have a raid 5 card in here somewhere i guess i should get that up and running again sometime

Your Netgear has applications similar to the DNS-323. I think most of the boxes come close to having the same apps. It comes down to what you have confidence in. I've had some good luck with D-Link products...knock..knock..hehe.

I like the DNS-321 so far, I might add my music to it, and use the iTunes. But right now my music is mostly on my PS3.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30520/79/

This should spark more conversation: HD Choice....

I went with the WD Caviar SE16 320GB WD3200AAKS-00B3A0 (single platter)....

Quote Originally Posted by Bender10 View Post

I just had another WD bite the bullet. I'm only buyingSeagate B drives now. There's your "more conversation" for you!

Yeah,

I remember having a rather 'spirited' conversation once (well, maybe a few times...) about Hard Drives. Wow..!! You would have thought I wanted to date his sister or something. I am truely amazed how picky people are about which HD is the 'best'...

I must be a slave to mass opinion though. When I go looking for a new Widgit, and 80% of the people that have bought that Widgit (within the last 3-6 months), have good things to say about the Widgit... I will look harder at that item, and temper their views with my past experience, then decide...

After all, it's just a crapshoot anyway.

You may get the one of the Widgit's that rolled by when QA was on Coffee Break..!!!..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bender10 View Post

I prefer Samsung HD753LJ - 750GB SATA II 32MB SATA Hard Drive.

Detail:
    Hard disk rotational speed 7200 RPM
    Hard disk drive capacity 750 GB
    Average latency 4.17 ms
    Hard disk interface Serial ATA II
    Drive device, buffer size 32 MB
    Hard disk size 3.5 "
    Start/Stop cycles 50000
    Hard disk average seek time 8.9 ms
    Drive Ready Time 12 s
    Bytes per sector 512

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast